Have I been had??? My eggs came in the mail today.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jwatts, Mar 11, 2013.

1. jwatts

jwatts Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    I just recently ordered a dozen Americana hatching eggs from someone on eBay. The post said they will ship on mon or tues so the eggs don't sit in the post office over weekend. My eggs did however sit in post office over the weekend. Now they were not being shipped across the country either. I contacted the seller 3 days ago and still have not got a response. Anyway today I got the eggs and there all light brown color. I thought Americanas were green-blue? I think there might have been a mistake. What's everyone's else's take? Thank you for listening. [​IMG]

2. americana-lover

americana-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Michigan
    I have 5 Americanas, and 1 of them lays brown-ish eggs. There is a slight possibility that they are Americana eggs, but I would not think that all of the eggs are Americana.

3. lizanne

lizanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Citrus Heights, Ca
    What did the listing say? Did they have pictures of the hens that layed them? They might be Easter Egger Eggs.

4. Zanna

Zanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2010
    Jefferson, Oregon
    Ameraucanas only lay blue eggs, have slate coloured legs and are recognized colour in the American Poultry Association Standard of perfection. Any non-recognized colour that lays a pink to brown to a range of green to olive egg is either a Easter egger or an olive egger. There is much missinformation about this breed, even the feed stores and most hatcheries label easter eggers wrongly as ameraucanas. They are in fact a cross of an ameraucana with something else they are not pure-bred.

5. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    Don't buy anything labeled "Americana". That's a dead giveaway that it's a fake. An Easter Egger.

Ameraucana lay blue eggs. They shouldn't lay any other color, even green. Those pink/brown eggs are not from an Ameraucana.

I've seen so many sellers on Ebay selling Easter Eggers and calling them Ameraucana or Americana. Looks like that's what you've ended up with.

If you do hatch them and they're EE's, it won't be horrible, especially if you didn't pay much for them. They will probably be nicely tempered and lay a colorful egg.

6. tec27

tec27 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    awe. that sucks. dude dont buy from ebay. stay on this site. yeah those are definitely not ameraucana eggs. I mean theyre probably not even easter eggers. Easter eggers are known to lay blue/green/olive eggs. Thats why people get them. Any mutt i guess it considered an easter egger though.

7. jwatts

jwatts Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    I just got my response. Turns out it was a mixed up order ( there dominecker eggs) and the seller will now send me 18 eggs free of charge. i was happy with that.

8. akchick76

akchick76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Alaska
    Nice!

9. lizanne

lizanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Citrus Heights, Ca
    [​IMG]

10. skookumchuck

skookumchuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2012
    Jefferson City, MO
    Hatch them all Dom's are good birds too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by