1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

have i been scamed? now what do i do?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by 3goodeggs, Oct 7, 2011.

1. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    So, I am on a ladder painting and there is a phone call and it gets passed to me because it is from Microsoft about our computer... long stupid stupid stupid story short.. and did I say STUPID? arrgh.
    I turn on the computer and let this guy from what I thought was Microsoft into my computer.
    I said STUPID right?
    so, dazed and confused because I am on enough antihistamines to drop a horse i still think this guy is from micro soft. Hours later.. he is from fixmycomputerdude.
    WHAT!! so I wrap it up get him off of my computer change all of the bank passwords and now what do I do/
    I googled 'Fixmycomputerdude' and I got a microsoft answer that they are not affiliated with fixmycomputerdude and it is a scam. So, how did he know about all of the error reports that I have been sending in today?

What do you all know about this fixmycomputerdude from Texas, and what do I do now? unplug my computer or burn it or just wait for darkness and destruction to descend?

And did I say I was SO STUPID!?! stupid, stupid, stupid.

2. perolane

perolane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    Is there any way to call Microsoft & ask advice?? Surely if this person is claiming to be affiliated they would want to help. Also I would check to make sure they hadn't installed any programs.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  3. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    I would check/notify your bank accounts and monitor them and other important password places. I would also , I think, find a real computer dude and wipe my hard drive in case he left malware in there. You need real computer help, not a chicken site.

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    If hes not connected with microsoft, HOW did he know you sent them error reports then??
    Sounds like microsoft may be hacked too.... [​IMG]

5. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Have you backed up your computer? If you have, I would find some computer place to completely wipe the hardrive clean and reload it with the back-up discs.

6. perolane

perolane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    they'reHISchickens :

I would check/notify your bank accounts and monitor them and other important password places. I would also , I think, find a real computer dude and wipe my hard drive in case he left malware in there. You need real computer help, not a chicken site.

What they said!​

7. cajun Rabbit

cajun Rabbit Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2011
    I suggest changing ALL your passwords (email, facebook, twitter, bank, EVERYTHING) from a different computer. He may have installed a key stroke program so every time you type it saves the information. Changing your stuff from a different computer that is not compromised will help. With that said, go to geeksquad or something like that to have a reputable person scan and fix your computer.

On a related note "double my speed . com" is a scam as well. the 'free scan' is 3 hours on the phone while he looks at your errors and makes it sound like your computer is on its last leg unless you sign up for their fix and monitor system.... for a low low price of $400 bucks!! [​IMG]

oh, and stop climbing ladders while your medicated [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  8. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    I have photos backed up and that's it. I do not know how to back up a hard drive. I am on the Microsoft web site now. I want mainly to know if fixmycomputerdude has ever been heard of by any of you?
    I feel like an IDIOT!
    I have changed all Id and pass words for all bank accounts.
    darn.
    I get to wear the cone of shame for a decade or two.

9. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    [oh, and stop climbing ladders while your medicated [​IMG][/quote
    ]
    I was thinking this too.

10. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    Quote:Because everybody that runs Microsoft is either sending in error reports or declining to send in error reports.

My solution to all of this; I just don't answer the phone.

I doubt he befouled you computer but probably did damage to your bank account if you can't reverse whatever charges you may have mistakenly agreed to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by