1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Have I confused my chicken forever???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sellersgang, Nov 10, 2008.

1. sellersgang

sellersgang Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2008
    Cleveland, MS
    Since it is turning colder here in the Mississippi Delta, hubby and I thought we should do a little more insulating on the chicken coop. The opening to the coop has no door so we stapled some heavy plastic over it and cut slits in the plastic for the girls to walk thru. All this was done hoping to stop some drafts. So what do u think the girls did last nite when it was time to go to bed???? They all lined up on the board leading up into the coop and stood there staring at the plastic!!! Not one would even try to stick their head in until hubby went to the side door and held the plastic up with a stick... aaarrgggghhh.

This morning I went back out to make sure they knew how to get out and most had ventured outside. But.. will they go back in by themselves tonite or do we have to coax them in again by holding the curtain for them??? lololol

2. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Chances are very good that after a day or two they will figure out they can get in and out. [​IMG]

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You have to teach them what you want them to know. You may have to show them a few more times.

4. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    That was such a hysterical story! On the practical side though, maybe if you used some heavy duty closespins for clamps to clip a few of the slits open [just enough for them to go in & out], then maybe you won't have to open it up for them & they'll get the idea. If you don't do something like that, then you will have to show them several times before they'll get the hang of it. We have a metal shed w/ a large door that we've considered installing a doggie door, but I'm sure they won't like the plasic flap door either & we'd probably have to remove it, but I want to intall it anyway to keep heat in. Funny visual of your hubby having to hold the plastic up for them! Thanks for a great laugh of day! [​IMG]

5. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

I had the same issue when I put a plastic doggy door over their chicken door. My daughter and I helped them figure it out and they are fine now. It took a few days, though, before they were comfortable with it. [​IMG]

6. sellersgang

Aug 21, 2008
    Cleveland, MS
    OHhhhhh.. DH was not happy at all since he was the one who had to crawl in and put the plastic up in the first place.. hehehe. He renamed a few of my girls but I cant post those names on here or I would wind up in the Jail house!!![​IMG]

7. sellersgang

Aug 21, 2008
    Cleveland, MS
    Welp.. all but 1 learned how to get back inside the coop last nite!! This one holdout would walk up the plank.. stare at the plastic covering the door.. squawk a bit.. then hop down and pace. lololol

This went on about 4 different times and i decided to show her the opening again as hubby did the nite before. As soon as I parted the plastic curtain.. in she went. I really think she is a nite owl and does not want to go to bed early like her coop mates do. when she finally does decide to retire for the evening its too dark for her to see!!!

Maybe this will be the last time i have to "show" her the way inside.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by