Have I created a monster?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by easttxchick, Sep 7, 2010.

1. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I think I may have created a precious little feathered, web footed monster.
    I have a 1 1/2 month old Call duck hen(her name is Darcy) and she hatched out as a singleton so, needless to say, she received a LOT of attention.
    Problem is, I have been trying to integrate her with my other Calls and she wants wants no part of it. She doesn't like normal duck things like swimming, muddling, etc.
    She has a fit when I try to leave her in the pen with the other ducks-she cries and whistles until I feel sorry for her and go get her and put her back in her big cage in the garage(which I have to clean out several times a day). She follows me all over the place when I am outside working, cleaning coops, feeding, etc., but is right on my heels when I head back toward the house.
    When she gets scared, I put my hands down and she jumps into them and immediately nuzzles into my neck. [​IMG]
    If she weren't so sweet, this would be easier for me, but I absolutely adore her. [​IMG]
    Have I ruined any chance of her ever wanting to be a duck instead of a dog with a bill and webbed feet?

2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

LOL. Ducky-Poodle. Just put her with the other and ignore her for a couple of house. Eventually she will learn that there is more then mom.

3. jellybean

jellybean Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Bellevue, ID
    I hatched a single duck in the incubator this year, and it's the same. LOTS of attention. He's about 8 weeks old, and I JUST yesterday put him outside overnight. I know he could have earlier, but he's so happy to come in the house at night and hang with us. So quiet and well behaved and attached to me. But he has found out the pond is sooo much fun. Spends most of the day and night in it, but is still very leary of the other ducks. He's only with his mother now, and they mostly avoid each other and walk a few feet away from each other. But he's getting more used to it.
    Maybe if you spend a little time in the pen with her and the others, feeding treats in the pool or something, she might learn those things aren't so bad from YOU. Since she thinks you're her mother.... They really can be the best pets if raised singly, so sweet and loving and actually cuddly. I miss having my little (big now!) guy in here all the time with me.

4. easttxchick

Aug 3, 2009
    Thank you for the advice.
    I am such a softy that it is hard for me to ignore her when she is hollering for me. Guess I need to toughen up.
    Jellybean I am so glad I'm not the only one that has gotten this attached to a duck! I told my husband today that until I had my own I never understood how someone could love ducks so much. My Calls are absolutely wonderful-especially my Ducky-Poodle. [​IMG]

5. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    Hi Sheila,
    I just read your posts to my husband BJ and guess what he said? "I want a duck" I told him the girls are quiet, but a duck might quack quack all the time. He still wants a duck. We will just have to hurry up and build our house on our land and move out of town.LOL Then we can get LOTS of ducks!! He wants one just like yours.

6. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Australia
    Why not try socailising with her/hanging with her while the other ducks are around? She could get used to them with you [​IMG]

7. Miss Ducky

Miss Ducky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Michigan
    Aww! I really want an indoor duck like that, and calls are my favorite!! Unfortunately that isn't possible because the house is empty most of the day with my parents at work and me at school [​IMG] Otherwise I might just have to offer to take the lil' sweetheart off your hands!! [​IMG]

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Sorry, she is solidly imprinted on you and is convinced that she is not a duck. Why the heck should she stay in the duck pen when she is human?[​IMG]

9. easttxchick

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:Sadly(OK, I admit, I secretly LOVE it), she is convinced that I belong to her.
    I did what was suggested and took her out in the pen today and sat with her while she messed around a bit and the other ducks wanted her to come join their little flock-so I left her out there-that was tough. I went back a couple of hours later and she was having a great time with the other ducks playing in mud puddles, etc. I felt relieved and a little sad. I let all of the ducks out to mill around in the pasture for a bit and one of my Jaerhon hens jumped on my little girl and had her down in the mud and proceeded to try to kick her little feathered butt sooooo...it really scared her and she decided she didn't want to be a duck anymore.
    Tonight, she is in her cage in the garage. [​IMG]
    I am so weak.

Just FYI-I am aware that I am 99% of the problem in this situation.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  10. FunnyBunnies12

FunnyBunnies12 Chillin' With My Peeps

AWWW I just love it! Sounds like this little girl imprinted herself on you and consider you her mate. A lot of people need to sit and watch the bond between ducks and this is what your little girl is doing, but what true unconditional dedicated loyal love is. Maybe married couples would be stronger. I just love reading about married couples that have the same love and admiration for their ducks. But how do you keep a duck indoors without having to pick up duck poop all the time!! When my 2 babies come inside for awhile, all I am doing is wiping up then mopping duck poop up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by