Have I Done The Right Thing?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by amyfitz100, Feb 13, 2014.

1. amyfitz100

amyfitz100 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    South Carolina
    This is probably not such a big deal, but I have not had too much unusual stuff to deal with (thankfully!) with my little flock. First, I have 2 roosters, 2 hens, all about 8 months old. Both hens started laying in January. Several weeks ago we had an unusual cold snap in SC and Pecky, my roo with a big comb, got frostbite. It was suggested that I put neosporin on it, but he wouldn't have that. He''s the #1 rooster and will eat from my hand, but does not like to be touched. So yesterday, preparing for our second "epic" ice storm, I went to refresh hay, top off the feeder and replace frozen water... and found blood smeared all over the white part of the feeder and some on the waterer. The black stuff had fallen off Pecky's comb and now it was just shiny, bloody red on the tips. He seemed fine (he has never seemed uncomfortable). I was worried about him being bloody with the others around, but no one seemed to pay attention (maybe because his comb is red anyway?). I just cleaned the splatters up and checked on him throughout the storm. Everything seemed normal -- he crowed, the girls gave us their eggs, (however they did NOT enjoy snow blowing in their little run). They only came out for treats. This morning I did the same routine and when I opened the coop all four looked the same as yesterday, but the feeder had come apart (it's a BIG hanging plastic one and had been full!), and the white part looked like a stinking bloodbath. Even the hanger/handle had blood on it. Some blood was splattered on the wall. It MOSTLY looks like it's where blood would've smeared when his comb touched the feeder as he ate. But it was all the way around the feeder. So gross. This is the first chicken blood I have experienced. I took everything out and cleaned it off, and only put the red tray (bottom part of the feeder) back in the coop. I will have to check it a lot -- I'm sure it'll get food mixed with hay and poop, but isn't that better than leaving the white thing there that I KNOW blood will show up on? Is it bad if some drops of blood get on the food and the others eat it? It doesn't seem to be bleeding much, just getting knocked around. Any other suggestions? The worst of our storm is over, so we can check on them a lot today.

Some pics are gross...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    have you tried to stop the bleeding? corn starch works pretty good.

3. Gonetothebirds

Gonetothebirds Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2014
    I would grab him and cover his comb. Try wrapping him in a towel. Don't worry to much about a little blood

4. laurengeeves

laurengeeves Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2013
    England , Kent
    Oh wow! You've done the right thing of removing the white bit, I would advice to clean it with salty water or anti septic to stop infection and to help heal it

5. amyfitz100

Jul 10, 2013
    South Carolina
    Thank you all so much -- we'll see what happens!

6. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Remove your rooster until his comb has healed,otherwise this is going to keep happening,your other birds are pecking/attacking his comb and will not stop. Bring him inside until healed. Always separate a ill/inured bird for this very reason.

7. TheChickInn

TheChickInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2012
    I would coat his comb with some antibiotic ointment. If you can keep him away from the other chickens ( maybe in a cage in the coop) so that the others don't peck at his comb, that would be great. Chickens love blood, and they probably won't leave his comb alone until the bleeding stops.

8. amyfitz100

Jul 10, 2013
    South Carolina
    His comb has scabbed over, but I'm not putting the top of the feeder back in for a couple of days. So far so good!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by