Have I done the wrong thing with my roo?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kaybats, Aug 5, 2011.

1. kaybats

kaybats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    He started out with what I thought was establishing dominance with the other roo. All was fine for a while, then he began to come after ME, puffed up, wings flapping, open beak, etc......actually drawing blood. Now that I have "jailed" him, he seems sickly...tail feathers becoming colorless and droopy, not caring for feed, water or teats etc.

One of the hens has taken up residence right next to the "cell". I truly believe she misses him.

I. AM. IN. TEARS.

Will someone PLEASE tell me what to do?

2. kaybats

Jun 4, 2011
    going back out to the barn. THANKS EVERYONE.

3. kaybats

Jun 4, 2011
    Still no change..does anyone have any suggestions?

4. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    I have read on here about picking them up and holding them till they submit. You can also look in the search place for help with roosters. I had a rooster that was getting to fiesty. I started picking him up like suggested and carrying him around in front of hes girls. Now he is great with me. (But him and my DH still hate each other.) Good luck.

5. Lucysmom002

Lucysmom002 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I don't know as I haven't gotten that far with chickens yet. I have a few very sweet roosters as of now, one just starting crowing. I'm wondering what I'm going to end up doing also.
    I just wanted to let you know that I feel for you.. maybe he's depressed?

6. kaybats

Jun 4, 2011
    Thanks terri...I have been doing that with him for the past couple of days. And Lucy, this roo was as sweet as can be til just lately. I don't know what got into him.

7. darin367

darin367 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    Shelton, Wa.
    what got into him is testorone!!!!!!! my experience with roosters is if they start to get mean get rid of them.. they don't get nicer with age... theirs alot of nice roosters out there, no need to put up with a mean 1.....

8. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Go to the search bar on top right side. Type in taming rooster. There are several posts on how to do this.

9. alisonmtv

alisonmtv Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2011
    I'm new to this, but at about 13-14 weeks my previously super sweet roos started getting aggressive towards me too - it coincided with them starting to try to mate the hens and doing their "wing dance" ...

a few days after they started with the hens, they started doing the "wing dance" and raising their neck feathers at me when I would come towards them in the run, and two of the three roos attempted to peck HARD at my hand, I as surprised no blood was drawn (prior they would let me pick them up, pet them while roosting, sit on my shoulder while I walked around the yard - they are bantams) ... I got my courage up and chased them down, picked them up, used a low tone to "chastise" them, and then held them until they calmed down - within a day or two they were back to their sweet temperaments with me...

The other day I picked one up who was being particularly nasty to the hens and he pecked at my hand very lightly then turned and looked at me like he was wondering if he was gonna get in trouble again [​IMG] BUT, he and the other two calmed down enough to not attack me or dance and raise their feathers when I come near ...

10. kaybats

Jun 4, 2011
    Quote:I see this all the time here....just get rid of 'em.....but I raised him from a chick. Color me crazy, but he belongs to me and I want to do everything I have the power to do to keep him healthy. That's why I came here for suggestions. But, thanks darin.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by