Have I got a cock or two??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by JonnyA88, Dec 2, 2016.

1. JonnyA88

JonnyA88 Just Hatched

Nov 4, 2016
    So I've been watching my "ladies" closely. And I'm thinking 2 are boys. As they don't look anything like thier sister who's a lot smaller.

All came from the same mam and all same age. We've been told they are white suffix [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And thier sis.

[​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Sis does look like a light Sussex pullet. The other two are mixed breed cockerels.

3. JonnyA88

JonnyA88 Just Hatched

Nov 4, 2016

Thanks donrae.

Bit of a sickner as we've grown quite attached.

But they scrap every morning. And even attack the dog when I let them out. They're funny little things like but can't have cockerls where I live it's built up so no one wants a early morning, cock-doodle-doo..

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yeah, I've got an overflow coop near my front porch with a mature rooster, and a second with two silkie cockerels who are just starting to crow.

I've learned not to turn the porch light on when the dog needs to go out at 2am. Otherwise the light starts the crowing.....I don't even hear it anymore but I'm sure the neighbors are un-thrilled [​IMG]

5. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Funny headline! [​IMG] Not sure I'm allowed, but that's what he said! [​IMG]

Anyways, do you have some friends for her? Going after the dogs is unacceptable at my house. If they haven't yet hit puberty, you won't regret getting rid of them once they do and you hear your pullet start screaming bloody murder and not even be able to get a bite to eat or a moments rest without them jumping on and trying to mate her.

Best wishes!

6. JonnyA88

JonnyA88 Just Hatched

Nov 4, 2016

Thanks Eggsighted4life

Really appreciate your advice. [​IMG]

I've managed to pass them on. The man I bought them off has a friend who wants roosters for his hens (think he's after chicks)

I don't have a friend for Muriel but I can get some similar aged hens next week so fingers crossed she's gets on with them. She actually gets on with dog and is the only one who doesn't bother with him so she can be pally with him over the weekend. The cockerels go Sunday so hopefully I'll have her new friends by Tuesday latest.

Really gutted as they have thier own personalities and they will be missed. [​IMG]

7. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] At least their personalities will get to carry on in another flock instead of freezer camp. [​IMG]

It's not easy to find homes for boys.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You are very lucky you have someone to take them - there is such a glut of roosters on the market - you just know most will not have a happy ending.

9. Phaedre

Phaedre Just Hatched

Nov 20, 2016
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    [​IMG]

10. JonnyA88

JonnyA88 Just Hatched

Nov 4, 2016

I know I'm lucky. I have a sneaky feeling they may be heading to someones dinner table... but I'm staying positive for the kids lol. But it's probably more likely than some one needing 2 boys lol.

I've noticed as was looking for chicks and they seemed a few for sale. [​IMG]

Thanks [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by