1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Have I hurt my chicks???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AnnieOK, Feb 9, 2012.

1. AnnieOK

AnnieOK Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2011
    Southcentral Oklahoma
    Hey guys,

We picked up our brand new baby australorps a week ago yesterday. They've done great! Eighteen of them and I've been so pleased with how well they're all growing and eating and drinking and being active. They have just looked so good.

I am using those absorbant pads for bedridden people in the bottom of their crate. They are out in an unheated garage that has been staying around 50 degrees. Heat lamp on and they do not act cold. When they sleep they are together but not piled up on one another. I also started changing their pad and refilling their feed and water twice a day about 3 or 4 days ago.

Today I changed them this morning around 11, then had to leave for the afternoon. When I got home about an hour ago I went out to change them and found that the pad was SOPPING wet. An edge of the pad had fallen over into the water and leeched all of it out. They had been standing on a sopping wet pad for hours possibly.

Changed it all out, used two as the underlying floor of the crate was also wet, dried it too as best I could. Refilled their feeder, their water. Made sure no edges can fall into it this time. All the chicks are moving around, as best I could tell most if not all of them ate some and drank some. They've settled down now to sleep. They look a little bedraggled. Like the feet of others got little bits of stuff on their backs. I'll check them again in a little while.

So, for you experienced chick-raisers, would you expect this to seriously affect them? Cold shock, or being damp, or at least their little feet being damp for a while?

Thanks.

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Chickens are very tough. If little things could cause them all to perish, the chicken wouldn't have survived and thrived for 1000's of years.

Glad you the bedding all dried out. I suspect they'll be just fine. Have you considered using wood shavings or just plain, clean yellow straw?

3. hollyk

hollyk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    Canton, Texas
    I agree with Fred's Hens, they are tough and should recover. That breed is also quite hardy. I think I would also change the bedding. Pine shavings were my favorite thing until the last batch and I used All Pine pellets- no extra chemicals, just mashed up pine. It is in the kitty litter section and works so great! The smell was next to nothing and one 3 inch layer of the pellets in a rubbermaid bin lasted the 10 days my chicks are inside. After that they go out to a brooder house. Usually I am changing litter much more often. I like messing with my chicks but would rather take pics and such instead of changing the litter. But, do what works for you. [​IMG]

4. AnnieOK

AnnieOK Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2011
    Southcentral Oklahoma
    Thank you Fred's Hens, and hollyk for your replies. It's a relief, and makes sense. I do have a bag of pine shavings, hadn't started using them yet. I had read to wait a few days or long enough for the chicks to get used to eating their food, so they wouldn't take the shavings for food. Think I'll cut that bag open tomorrow and start using them.

Thanks both of you!!
    Annie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by