1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Have I just got very lucky!!!???

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Audioslave, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Audioslave

Audioslave New Egg

Jul 8, 2013
    Rep of Ireland
    Hi all.
    Firstly, I am new to keeping quail. I purchased 2 hens 3 days ago from a breeder. We have had 2 eggs everyday since. But prior to getting them I had told my children that most likely they will need a few weeks to adjust to the new surroundings and as a result may stop laying.
    Should I still be anticipating this or can I assume that they have settled in after such a short period?

2. I've gotten a chicken hen who layed 2 hours after getting her.
    Animals handle stress very well, and its not uncommon to get eggs recently after purchasing them. Likely, they may take a day or 2 to adjust but that's for poor laying animals or ones who don't handle stress well.
    :) so you're original info was a tad wrong. ;)

3. Audioslave

Audioslave New Egg

Jul 8, 2013
    Rep of Ireland
    Cheers thanks for the reply. I was taking it as almost certain that after a change in environment that the quail hens would need at least a day or two minimum before they resume laying.

4. So what type of quails did ya get? ;)

5. Audioslave

Audioslave New Egg

Jul 8, 2013
    Rep of Ireland
    Japanese/coturnix. Got a pair of hens aged 9 weeks. They are great, no problem with picking them up or stroking them. They have an enclosed part in their cage that has alot of straw in their. They kick some out and drag some in lol and at times ive thought they'd done a hudini and escaped, only to notice a piece of straw moving :)

6. farmboy539

farmboy539 New Egg

Aug 10, 2013
    I breed japanese quails and I have 130 of them they lay 32/39 eggs per a day will I get more eggs? Since they are just 13weeks old?

7. Audioslave

Audioslave New Egg

Jul 8, 2013
    Rep of Ireland
    Hey farmboy,
    Hopefully one of the more experienced members could give you a reply regarding this, as I've only had my quail for a week now. So far in that week, from 2 quail we have had 13 eggs.

8. Zrcalo

Zrcalo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2012
    @farmboy

are they all girls? Are they eating the eggs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by