Have I never had fresh eggs??

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by sunket77, Aug 30, 2009.

1. sunket77

sunket77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    I have a question for all you byc veterans! I just got my first half dozen eggs from my barred rock and one of my production reds this week. We are so very excited!! So I scrambled them up so we could all (6 in the family) try some. I noticed when I went to beat the eggs with a fork, before I did I could pick up the egg by it's white with the fork. It stayed there and just hung on. I have never been able to do that with a store bought egg, the white is always very runny.
    Is this because the eggs where fresh or is this strange?
    The eggs were of course small because they were first eggs but the shell was nice and hard...I am so proud of my chickies!!

2. ging3rhoffman

ging3rhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Congratulations, you have just cracked opened, scrambled and ate your first real farm fresh egg! Yum:yiipchick

3. Metanoia

Metanoia Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    South Australia
    Probably not only because they were super fresh, but also because they're fed on better stuff. Fresh eggs are wonderful. Mine are so sweet and flavoursome! yum!!

4. ChicknJ

ChicknJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Central Florida
    it has something to do with the albumin in the white. The protein has not degraded , so the white is thick and together. As the egg ages, the albumin degrades making the whites runnier.

I would not have believed you could taste the difference in fresh eggs, but I'm sure a believer now. Enjoy

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  5. Dragonfly Ranch

Dragonfly Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Happy Valley, CA
    I noticed the same thing when I first started getting our fresh eggs. It takes a little more elbow grease to them scrambled. When you fry one you will see the difference on how the yolk sits high and whites are firmer.

Congratulations on getting your first six eggs! Try a store bought egg next to fresh - you'll see and taste the difference

Sandee

6. sunket77

sunket77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    I am totally EGGCITED!!!!!!! [​IMG]

7. awtandrocks

awtandrocks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2009
    Florida
    I've got an additional 16-17 week wait for my first "Farm Fresh Eggs" my barred rocks are only 3wks.
    I've heard that it is about impossible to hard boil a egg when it is fresh is this true??
    I like my hard boiled eggs.

8. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    yep up until now you had never had fresh eggs. enjoy [​IMG]

9. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    Quote:some people seem to have trouble pealing them after boiling them, but there are several tips on here for how to do it. The one that worked best for me was

bring water to a boil
    gentle put the eggs into the boiling water
    continue with water boiling for 15 minutes
    remove eggs and put them immediately into a bowl with ice and water in it. the transition for hot to cold caused the interior of the egg to shrink and make pealing a breeze.

10. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:You can hard-boil them just the same -- the problem is peeling the shell off. The fresh eggshells don't slide off easily so you have to really work at it. Week-old eggs have peels that slide off more easily.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by