Have I really never registered here?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by DorothyH, Jan 7, 2014.

1. DorothyH

DorothyH Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2014
    Howdy from Austin Texas. My hubbie has posted here and loves reading and I've used this place as a resource so much that I was so surprised that I couldn't actually post anything! Ha. [​IMG]

We have 9 happy, spoiled rotten, feathered, moving, clucking lawn ornaments (3 leghorns and 6 ISA browns) for whom we are the slaves. They work and entertain us by day running around and then retire to their mansion of a coop in the evening that is just too spacious so screams for more birdies to bring it down to proper proportions to match our bourgeois suburban human home.

I've been spending time here on the site lately reading because I'm about to get an incubator delivered wOOt! to raise some indian runner ducks to add to the lawn entertainment and get some scrumptious duck eggs added to our diet.

Y'all convinced me to get the hovabator with an egg turner by reading the casting of votes.

Then I decided that I would love to have a peacock and peahen but y'all educated me in a very amusing thread of someone wanting to raise them in the house for a documentary. Apparently not only are peafowl not suitable by a long shot for living in a human dwelling but not even for my yard since in that thread I learned that they can JUMP to the top of a 6 foot fence. No thank you very much. It was sadly entertaining how the documentary maker outright refused to take advice from obviously very experienced people - but I thank you - and will abide by your wisdom.

Today though was the best. I saw a picture of a red golden pheasant while looking for hatching eggs on ebay and fell in love. I figured - now THAT could take place of the peacock! It could live happily maybe in my yard with my chickens and future ducks. I searched here about pheasants and found a thread that was not only incredibly informative but also quite amusing because someone kept on saying how the chickens will kill off the pheasants because some guy told him that chickens have microbes that will eventually kill the pheasants and he was so very rude and "cocky" but then person after person gently came and showed PICTURES of how happily their pheasants live with their chickens and then someone super educated delineated how what the person was saying was totally untrue - the name of the illnesses and how how SPECIFICALLY (with good references) the illness were NOT passed from chicken to pheasant only from TURKEYS and the guy who was so nasty still didn't get it and was actually thanking the smart dude for proving his point when he proved him wrong. HA! Gotta love it. And on top of it no one was rude back. How amazing is that!? Y'all seem to respond to people being rude and arrogant with such patience, kindness and by using facts and experience. I need me some of that in my life. [​IMG]

So I'll be reading everything I can find here on Indian Runners and incubating as no pheasants even possible until spring if I still am so enamored - but thought it was time I at least introduce myself hanging out in the room - just in case I want to "peep" in some time.

"Chicken music" just went off. My cue to stop whatever I'm doing and put the girls to bed so gotta go..... thanks for everything!

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hi there, [​IMG] and welcome to BYC!

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Rudeness does not survive long around here. [​IMG]

6. DorothyH

DorothyH Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2014
    I've noticed! and the beautiful thing is the way you seem to get rid it - with logic and kindness until it's like it gets smothered or something. [​IMG]

Thanks for the welcomes.

7. Bluebee

Bluebee Overrun With Chickens

Jul 30, 2012
    Cali
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us. [​IMG]

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

9. PoultryHatchery

PoultryHatchery Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2014
    Fayette, New York
    Welcome to BYC: Great to have you. I'm sure youll find this site to be pretty useful.

10. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright and [​IMG] great to have you onboard [​IMG]

Now you can interact with others [​IMG]

gander007 [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by