Have I stuffed up

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Countrydreamin, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Countrydreamin

Countrydreamin Chirping

Jan 10, 2019
    Perth
    After reading a bit on this forum I’m concerned.
    I thought because I would free range my chickens all day that this coup would be ok for them at night but now I’m not too sure. I just want two hens. When I move house and have more room I plan to build a bigger coup but right now I just chose a cheap eBay coup that my hubby could quickly knock up as right now with a baby and child I don’t have the time to pellet one up.
    And how often should I clean it in peoples opinion?
    Is it essential to have the door shut inside of it. I’ve been getting up at 6 am to let them out but I can’t see that lasting.
    The coup is only A6A44619-3D70-456F-94B9-F8CBE0F516E4.jpeg 1500 by 660

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    To play on your 'stuffed up' term.....that coop will be stuffy(lack of ventilation).
    Making the run part predator proof will allow you to leave that door open for them,
    which will help but it's still pretty small.

3. townchicks

townchicks Free Ranging

Dec 1, 2016
    Contra Costa county, Ca.
    That should be ok for 2 hens, if they get out of that tiny run every day. Shutting the pop door depends on your predators. I wouldn't trust that run to stop a determined raccoon, and unless you have a skirt around it, digging predators can get into it. Frankly, if you are already sure you won't want to get out there day in and day out, consider an auto door, or no chickens. They are a commitment.

4. Countrydreamin

Countrydreamin Chirping

Jan 10, 2019
    Perth
    No raccoons in Australia. But we do have rats and though very rare in my area there could be a Fox. I’ll look into skirting it and leaving the door open and letting them out at 8am everyday, that I can manage. Thanks for your input

5. Countrydreamin

Countrydreamin Chirping

Jan 10, 2019
    Perth
    Hehe thanks. I think I’m due time, I’ll slowly start putting together another coup, this one can be a quarenteen one if need be. I’ll leave the door open and skirt it for the very rare fox.

townchicks, EggWalrus, aart and 4 others like this.
  6. Shadrach

Shadrach Roosterist

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    You're allowed to stuff up; that's how one learns.:)
    I would say this time the error isn't terminal.:p
    @aart is right about the ventilation and @townchicks is right that it will do for two and you're better than right for thinking about an isolation/quarantine coop before you get any more chickens.
    I'll tell you what, instead of asking the questions make yourself one of those educator badges and answer other peoples questions.:bow

7. Countrydreamin

Countrydreamin Chirping

Jan 10, 2019
    Perth
    I couldn’t answer Anyone’s questions just yet I’m the biggest novice going round haha

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Common sense goes a long ways.

9. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    I wasn’t happy with ventilation in my shed conversion, so i drilled 5cm holes along the walls of the shed on the opposite side to the existing louvre windows. I covered the holes to make them predator proof and it seemed to work well. As mentioned, the smaller the volume of space, the more critical ventilation becomes.

10. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    I beg to differ - I managed :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: