Have lost 3 so far, not sure what's going on.. ideas?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DFCottage, May 13, 2009.

1. DFCottage

DFCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    Montpelier, Virginia
    I decided to raise a smaller group this year (from the 40+ last year) so I picked up 3 healthy babies at a swap, and then a few days later 5 more from a breeder. They were all about the same age, so they went together, no problems. I keep my cage very clean, changing water, bedding etc. I lost 1 of the first 3 a few days ago, and then 1 from the second group a day later. Both showed next to no signs of distress, just found them dead. Last night I lost my favorite, a light brahma. She was listless, falling over, etc. I noticed an almost greenish tinge to her poop, (I check for pasties at least 2x/day) so I gave her the 'hospital brooder' and found her gone at 3am. So sad.

I haven't seen anything like this before.. temp is fine, food is good, but now one of my marans is starting to show the same signs as the brahma, isn't nearly as feathered out and as large as the other from the same breed/same hatch, and I'm so worried I'm going to lose more!

Please help on this.. I just don't know what to do to help them. Coccidiosis?

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    The fact that you bought the initial 3 from a swap and then added more from a breeder makes me suspicious of a disease. Are they sneezing, gaping, coughing?

Be sure to keep them away from the rest of your existing flock and be sure to practice good bio-security measures so you don't take anything they could have to your existing flock.

3. DFCottage

DFCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    Montpelier, Virginia
    Nope.. no sneezing, coughing, nothing. The other 2 that I picked up from the swap are just fine.. in fact, they're HUGE. The remaining 6 from the breeder are ok except for that 1 maran, she's standing and moving around, just not as active as the others. A few from the breeder are a bit more on the small size, but they're still active, eating, etc.

I'm definitely good about washing my hands, cleaning up, etc after I visit my older hens before I mess with the chicks. Today I'm switching them all to a larger new cage and cleaning everyone's feet and scrubbing the food/water dishes, so hopefully we can cut down on any further deaths.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by