Have my Coop, Now what?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MommaHen86, May 23, 2010.

1. MommaHen86

MommaHen86 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2010
    Michigan
    So I have my coop ordered it will be here this weekend. Now what? Can someone give me a list of the things that I should have on hand for the chickens? Im a new chicken owner to 15 five week old chicks, and dont really know what to buy to have on hand or what would be a waste of money. We are going to use the Deep litter method for bedding I believe. So we are using pine shavings for that. We are also going to be building a 40ft x 40ft. grass run for the chickens during the day. Any advice?

2. chicksnchooks

chicksnchooks Chicken Little I am

Apr 19, 2010
    Kansas City, MO
    I'm excited to hear the responses...I too am a newbie but my girl's won't be here until June 6th or 7th! I can hardly wait!!

3. illegal avian

illegal avian Cooped up

Apr 21, 2010
    Third World, Texas
    lawn chairs, cooler, ice, beer.

4. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Chicken Obsessed

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I have been very happy with an outside "porch" for my girls. It is in the run, and is just a black box that used to fit in the back of a pick up, I turned it on its side, and propped the hinge lid open. Summer makes a shady spot, and winter, a good wind block. My girls seldom stay in the coop except at night and to lay. The rest of the time they are in the run, and they love their little outdoor shelter.

For your chicks now, you need water, and chicken starter feed. If you check out this site, there are lots of home made feeders and waterer. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by