Have my girls become bug snobs?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by SDR, Oct 16, 2011.

1. SDR

SDR Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2011
    Back in the spring when my girls were a month or two old I let them free range one day and noticed they did a number on the Box Elder bugs that were on the barn. I honestly couldn't find a single one where their had been several dozen earlier. I was so happy to discover this and thought when the infestation really started in the fall, like it does every year, the chickens will take care of it. I was even bragging to friends and family I had found the Box Elder bug cure.

Now that fall is here I have probably the worst infestation I've ever seen on that barn and my girls won't even look at them. In fact I watched a bug land on the back of one girl, she turned her head around, picked it up and flung it.

I don't get it what changed?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  2. Mudsow

Mudsow Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2009
    Mine would never touch those things. Maybe younger chickens would react more to the movement, once they matured, they realized there were better things to eat.

3. chickchicks

chickchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    warrington uk
    mine are like that .
    but with worms instead, they used to chase each other around and peep like mad when a worm came alond and fight overit.
    now they see a wom and walk away from it !!

4. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    maybe it is because there are so many around.

They'll want things more if they don't see them all the time!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by