Have my hen raise my new chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Flippacase, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Flippacase

Flippacase Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I might be getting a new baby chick soon. I already have a hen that is laying. What i was wondering is if i could give the baby to the hen to raise, instead of kepping it all alone in a brooder.
    The hen is a RI white, and the chick will be a barred rock, if that makes any difference.

Thanks

2. Flippacase

Nov 6, 2009
    Massachusetts
    anyone?

3. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Sorry, but no. The chances are good that she'll kill it. Often (but not always) you can sneak a day old chick or several under a broody but other than that most hens won't accept a chick. I've heard that silkies sometimes will, they seem to have a very strong mommy instinct, but a RI white hen is more of a production hen.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Unless your hen is broody, I wouldn't risk putting it in with the hen. She may peck it to death.

I'd keep it separate. Can you get another baby to be with it? It won't do well alone.

5. Flippacase

Nov 6, 2009
    Massachusetts
    no, I'm only getting one, but i already have a brooder, and it isn't really an inconvenience, i was just wondering if i could "kill two birds with one stone" Oh well

probably not the best analogy.

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Give the baby a mirror then, so it doesn't feel alone.

7. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:Feather dusters and puffy hats are nice too. If at all possible I'd pick up at least one more. They do better with a buddy and it will make it easier when the time comes for them to go in the coop with the big girl.

8. chickeypeep101

chickeypeep101 the Awesome Pullet

Jul 23, 2009
    On a horse!
    They like stuffed animals too. Just not precious ones unless you want to wash it a lot.[​IMG]

9. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    I agree 2 is better than 1. Just one and you are likely to be driven crazy by a very lonely and loud chick....

10. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Get two! Or get over to my house and take Big Mac, the crybaby, who hangs out in my office.

[​IMG]

Mary [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by