have new heated water tub..keeping ducks from swimming now ?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by melissa508, Dec 14, 2009.

1. melissa508

melissa508 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    ma
    I got a 26gal tub ($16.99 at TSC) & floating water heater ($19.99 at TSC) because I have quite a few birds ..and a rabbit who also lives with them.

Now id like to keep the poop out of the water since the water to my barn keeps freezing. Any ideas on how to keep the ducks from swimming, but allowing them
    to submerge their bills & heads???. Theres also chickens & a bunny who will be sharing this, so I dont want them to have to drink poop water. Also if there no poop in the water, becuase i add a little bleach it wont need to be changed daily ..lugging 26 gallons to my barn isnt too ez.

2. dacdeihl

dacdeihl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    NorthEast, In
    A couple ideas...
    1. Heat your drinking water with a water heater and leave the swimming tank to get poopy. Ducks swim all winter if they can find some. So you have electricity in the coop?
    2. If you really want to keep the ducks out try putting a section of welded wire over the area of water. They could get their head through for drinking but not swim in it.
    Let me know if you try this, I would like to see some picture.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by