Have no idea whats going on with my hen's backside

SammyRouen

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 12, 2014

I noticed this today on my hens backside. It's about an inch below her vent. Anyone have an idea on what it is and how I should treat it? She is acting normal and She has not been attacked as far as I know and it's only her who has this bare spot. Please help.

Hard to understand where you mean from that. So if it's below the vent then you mean between vent and chest?

If they are trying to hatch eggs so sitting on the nest a lot they will pull all the feathers down there out so there is skin contact with the eggs.

If you mean between vent and tail so other direction I'm not sure.

Last edited:
This is what my chickens butt looks like but much worse. Any idea what it is? Or how to treat it??
First pic before bath. Second pic after bath.

Need help!!
What's weird is she is not low on the pecking order so I find it weird that they pecked her so much to create such a big scab.

Last edited:

I noticed this today on my hens backside. It's about an inch below her vent. Anyone have an idea on what it is and how I should treat it? She is acting normal and She has not been attacked as far as I know and it's only her who has this bare spot. Please help.

Did you find out what was going on? I replied further down on the thread as my chickens butt looks similar but worse. Any help would be appreciated.

Dranchhens, may thought is that she was molting and had blood feathers and another hen plucked at them and pulled the skin along with the feather. Someone I talked too suggested that she had Necrotic tissue forming and treating her with antibiotics to prevent infection. I have wound spray I've been treating it with it doesn't appear to have gotten worse.

Back
Top Bottom