Have not seen an egg in a couple of days.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by azfordby4, Jun 19, 2010.

1. azfordby4

azfordby4 Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2010
    Chandler, AZ
    We have a leghorn hen who is usually very productive. Over the past couple of days, we have not seen an egg from her. She has had more free time in the yard but I can't find the eggs any where out there, and they are not in the nesting box. We have not changed her diet, and she has plenty of water. She is running around like normal. And does not seem like she is ill in any way We live in Phoenix and it is getting to be around 105 during the day here. I have read that heat can slow them down some. I looked at her "exit" and it does not look blocked or anything. But then again I really don't know what I am looking for. Any suggestions?

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    How old is she? Maybe she's just slowing down a little due to age or have you switched feed? Both can cause a decrease in production.

3. azfordby4

May 1, 2010
    Chandler, AZ
    She is under a year. And the feed is the same.

4. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    Temps and humidity levels can slow them down as they try to keep their bodies cooled by decreasing their feed consumption and adjusting their blood acid-base balance. What they need, is constant access to adequate clean cool fresh water and shady places where they can rest. A breeze, with a fan if necessary, is nice too.

Eventually when temps become more comfortable or they become accustomed to the heat most will resume laying. Also, tis the time of year for some slowdown in laying, especially with hens that came into lay late last summer & fall. Their bodies need a little rest.

5. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    7 months is a bit young to be taking a break, I think. Grab your coffee and spend a bit of time with your flock tomorrow. That is how I found a secret nest, some went off, and then did the egg song, so I followed and found 7 eggs, I was wondering why production had fallen!

Also, wet down the ground, when it gets hot, mine love to live, dig, and dust (mud) bath in damp sandy soil in a shady spot. Unfortunately that is where I have the flowers right now! But I am damping it closer to home. mk

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  6. azfordby4

May 1, 2010
    Chandler, AZ
    She is an only girl. I will try to hang out with her tonight.

7. azfordby4

May 1, 2010
    Chandler, AZ
    Got an egg today! It was a bit on the smaller side though. It looks like the heat is setting in. More water more water more water.

8. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Only one chicken? She would be happier with a buddy or two. Chickens are flock birds. They are more comfortable with other birds. mk

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by