Have One Chicken, Need Help Deciding What Age Chickens Needed

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by escianci, Jun 30, 2011.

1. escianci

escianci Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Up until the other day I had 6 barred rock chickens. They were free range, but a dog got them. One survived. I know that you can't have only one chicken so I need to find out about getting more. I would like to get only a few for now and a few more next spring. We are getting a fence so that it won't happen again!!

My question that I need help finding an answer to is do I have to get chickens that are around the same age (about 15 weeks) or if it is okay to get babies?

Any help with this is greatly appreciated!!

2. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    if you get babies you won't be able to keep them together. I'd get something at most 2 weeks either side of your girls age. That way they'll be big enough to stand up for themselves as they sort out the pecking order, if the chicks too young they'll just get bashed. I'd also say get two pullets, two weeks younger, that way the pullet you have won't be bullied too much as they'll be smaller than her even though they out number her.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  3. MiddleChild

MiddleChild Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Eastern Massachusetts
    Excellent advice. At least from a sort of intellectual viewpoint - my experience is limited!

4. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    also thought that if you bring it up to 3 now, in spring you can get 3 more so they have 'even sides' when they meet and it will bring you back up to your original 6 chickens [​IMG]

5. escianci

escianci Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Thank you so much!!!

I will try to get some pullets that are around two weeks younger. I was worried about the pecking order with one being a lot older if I got chicks.

I was thinking the same thing with getting just 2 now and getting chicks in the spring. Glad to hear that someone with more chicken experience than I have had the same thought:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by