Have pasture, goats and chickens no pond...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by CAjerseychick, Mar 6, 2014.

1. CAjerseychick

CAjerseychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2012
    Northern California!
    any advice? thinking that the 3 rubber bowls (the big black Ag ones that hold about 10 gallons each) will be enough, although it does get into the 100s for a few months a year-- we have some willows for cover and a seasonal stream (full up now, but will be dry by June or so)....

Am alittle worried about supplemental feed as the chicken feeder is hidden inside the coop, I will pen the ducklings seperate for a while, but work out of town 3 days a week so not sure how to feed them while gone - I cant leave feed out with the goats around- can figure that out later, but any tips on pasture raising ducks would be Great!
    (these are Black swedish ducklings- 5 - we got at TSC- and we have about 2 acres for them to range in)...

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would want someone minding them while I was away, that's my way of doing it.

Ten gallons seems fine - the black in the sun in summer maybe not so much.

Shade is definitely important, and cover to run under in case of hawks.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  3. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Can you set up something so the chickens and ducks can eat without the goats getting into it?
    I don't have goats, but 2 dogs that LOVE chick/duck food. What used to be my old greyhound's "dog yard" is now the duck/chicken dog free spot. The only place besides being closed into their houses that they can be without dogs in the way. It's just a wood fenced area that they ducks can squeeze under the fence rails or between and the chickens can go between (or over as one does).

I'd look into a smaller fenced area for them for your days away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by