Have People Changed---

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by FarmerChick, Dec 24, 2009.

1. FarmerChick

FarmerChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    North Carolina
    due to the economic problems and more that have plagued us over the last years?

How are people's personalities and their actions changing?

Has anyone noticed true changes in their areas? Seems more negativity etc is out there roaming cause of layoffs, bankruptcy, foreclosure, no jobs to be found, money is tight, small crimes on the increase, etc. and that all so uncertainity it might hit home!

or
    has your area remained the same basically.

just wondering how the stress of some hard times might be effecting everyone.

2. pixie74943

pixie74943 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Adelaide, Australia
    *raises hand* Australian here.. it's hard to tell whether we actually had a crisis.. alot was being said that there was a crisis, and lately they've been saying 'oh it didnt actually hit Australia'. Personally I havent seen a difference, only effect has been alot of 'Australian' companies are selling parts/all of themselves overseas, and subsequently being shut-down. Its depressing, for example the ONLY company that made OJ out of purely Australian Oranges sold itself to japan a couple of years ago, and now its being shut down [​IMG]

anyway, answering your original question, personally I have seen no effect, past that which is on the news. No one I know has been effected, never heard anyone complain about it.

3. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Good one FC.

I was visiting a friend this week and she and her parents live in a small...super small rural community and her parent's home (they are in their 60's) was burglarized this week.

They stole 3 guns and Dad's meds. Interestingly, they left 14 other guns. Selective thieves? Hmmm.

This is totally not the norm for this area. People are being driven to desperate measures. This may not have been the best example of that, as it seems more drug motivated but nonetheless.

In what other areas do we see crime increasing or changes in behavior?

Sadly, DH is an example... He was picked up (at my request) for DUI last month. Stress at work and financial issues certainly contributed to his bad choice.

4. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Around here its mostly the Petty Theft .. From Thanksgiving to christmas there where 157 car break ins... Our average total per year is only around 175... That and homes are being broken into more as well... But with all our factories closing down, laying off, bringing people back thebn 2 weeks later laying off again... I'm suprised its not worse....

5. rdranch

rdranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Strasburg,CO
    Hi FarmerChick! Interesting topic.

We live in a small community east of Denver and have been here for 8 years now. The economic base has pretty much always been agricultural. There has been a small boom of home building for people wanting out of the city but there are many unsold homes. Even in our neighborhood a developer caused a ruckus by buying a parcel of land to be developed with a hotel, truck stop etc.. I always had a feeling that it wouldn't go anywhere because I couldn't come with any reason why a company with the money to bring business here would do it. There just isn't the need locally and Denver is just 1/2 hour down the road. It may happen in 10-20 years but that's a long ways off.

Our little town's population is around 2500 and it takes up a lot of space, meaning low population density. Although people want to be prosperous sometimes growth is limited by actual need.

As for business we are slef employed sales reps in the lawn and garden sector. We had a record year 2009 selling seeds, but it's the extras that are taking the biggest hit. People are gardening more than ever but fewer people are buying the "extras" ie. decorative things, building ponds. People seem to be sticking to the basics that do not cost all that much. Talking with my customers the overwhelming concensus is that people want value for their purchase and are being very diligent at finding the best price. This is putting pressure on the retailers in a market that is already run on razor thin margins.

It's my feeling that these economic times are a good time for people to learn to live more within their means and get back to actively providing more for themsleves by gardening, raising chickens etc. I look at it as time to get back to our roots! In the past people lived on a lot less and were happy. I think it's time for some people to get their happiness from the self satisfaction of doing for themsleves. It's a big leap for some but it's really working out well for us. [​IMG]

6. rdranch

Apr 13, 2007
    Strasburg,CO
    Didn't mean to ramble so much the coffee kicked as I was typing![​IMG]

7. FarmerChick

FarmerChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    North Carolina
    LOL--no it was a good post
    I am interested to hear how areas are handling problems now.
    Most times we are so confined to the "down deep dirt" for our own areas.
    It is good to hear how others are progressing or failing etc.

I love reading about others areas and the problems or good times they are having!!

8. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    I did hear that robberies are way down-seems more people are home (unemployed), so other people aren't risking breaking in!

9. rdranch

Apr 13, 2007
    Strasburg,CO
    Quote:That hasn't been the case for banks in the Denver area. Lately there have been several banks getting hit each day! That's kind of scary, maybe it will quiet down after the holidays.

10. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    Yeah, but people don't live in banks. This stat was home burglaries/invasions are way down, 'cuz people are home, edgy, and armed!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by