1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Have Quail and have questions.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Foghorn Rock, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Foghorn Rock

Foghorn Rock Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2008
    Well my mother found out that I was raising chickens so the other day she decided I needed a dozen white cortunix Quail so she bought them and dropped them off on me.After doing some research I built a pen that should hold 30 but I still have a few questions.By the way they are 2 that are 6 weeks old and 10 that are 4 weeks,2 male 10 females.First question is how much light is needed for them to lay year round?and if I want to incubate the eggs.do I just save them up and put them all in at the same time,and I assume that they cant be refrigerated?These may be stupid questions I know but I am pretty stupid where quail are concerned.

2. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Quote:Not stupid questions, but I do know there is a LOT of information out there on the internet regarding Coturnix.
    Suggested is 16-17 hours of daylight (can be supplemented with artificial) for year round laying. But don't forget - laying eggs depletes minerals and such from the birds, so it's good to give them 2-3 months off in the winter.
    Save the eggs up just like chicken eggs - keep them around 50°F - don't know about refrigerating. I would just leave them in a cool place out of the sun, in a carton small end pointed down.
    Good luck! I love my Coturnix... [​IMG]

3. Foghorn Rock

Foghorn Rock Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2008
    thanks,one other question.do I need to make nest boxes and what size or do they just lay anywhere in the pen?

4. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    I have mine on 1/2" hardware cloth (once they're full grown), and they just lay on the wire - keeps the eggs clean. Otherwise, if you use bedding material, they will likely lay wherever they want. I couldn't get mine to use a box, but that doesn't mean yours won't. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by