Have Rooster question.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Waldorbigbill, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Waldorbigbill

Waldorbigbill Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2011
    We let our chicken free range most of the time and the last two days the have been locked up in the run. So today I notice when I let them out they were all going after each other at first. I guess they have been locked up and just tired of each other lol. But tonight while doing yard work the kids was feeding them oatmeal one of their favorite treats when I watch the roster attack 3 chicken trying to pluck out feathers. Then the last straw was when he attacked a 4th one ripped out like 4 or 5 feathers so I went after him to scare him. Is this normal or should I be prepared to make sunday dinner with this guy? they are only 4 or 5 months old and all have been raised togther we have 13 chickens 1 being the rooster. Thanks for any input.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Sounds as if the testosterone is raging. Mating instincts are starting to kick in, and he's not qute sure how to do "it." He'll figure things out.

3. DancingHen

DancingHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Central Oregon Coast
    Roosters get a little crazy and rough at that in between stage when the hormones kick in but they haven't matured yet. Give him a few more months and he should start to settle down. He is just a hormonal teenager right now....he'll work it out as he matures. You could try seperating him from the girls for a few hours here and there to give them a break from him. Good luck.

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree. He is starting to feel his oats. He is practicing. He may be rough on the pullets at first.

5. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    He's becoming a man....and in the process he will be awkward and rougher...I hate that stage!

6. Waldorbigbill

Waldorbigbill Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2011
    Thanks for the input

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by