Have stew meat, but dont want to make stew....

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Jamie_Dog_Trainer, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Jamie_Dog_Trainer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Washington State
    Hello everyone,

Im an Eggs, Chicken, & Other Recipes section-a-holic [​IMG]

I have stew meat out and thawed, I don't want to make stew though. We just had a chicken stew so I'm looking for suggestions for something different. I've though of chili, but thought about posting here to see if any of you have something else that might be good.

Thanks in advance [​IMG]

~JDT

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Stroganoff?

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:yum! good idea! hi jamie!!![​IMG]

4. Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Jamie_Dog_Trainer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Washington State
    Hey stroganoff is a great idea, for sure a contender...but I don't have sour cream....might have to go to the store. Thanks Wifezilla [​IMG]

Hey Wendy [​IMG]

any other ideas out there?

Edit: after my smilie to Wendy that was supposed to be a heart but it turned out to be a big sign for cents and then 3/4 [​IMG] :LOL:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  5. what was i thinking

what was i thinking Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    what kind of meat, beef, venison ? doesn't matter i guess. put it in the crock pot with bbq sauce, have it on some rolls. bbq sandwiches...

6. bulldog-girl

bulldog-girl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Estacada, OR
    How about fajitas? Slice thinly and let slow cook in fajita seasoning. I found a home made spice recipe on line. Very good and way cheaper than buying the little packets.

Or, slice thin and cook with a couple of cans of cream of muchsroom soup, some diced onion if you have it, garlic and a little milk Will make a nice gravy and you can serve that over a bun, rice or noodles. I also add extra mushrooms if I have them and even some brocoli. Can be a one dish meal. Can also do in the crockpot.

7. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    ey stroganoff is a great idea, for sure a contender...but I don't have sour cream

Do you have yogurt? That works too.

Fijitas are also a good idea.​

8. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

I was thinking stroganoff, I would cook them down to be tender, then you can do anything! Loving to cook myself, I have put the beef in to cook during the day with a bay leaf, oregano, garlic, onions, celery, green and red pepper if you like (a bit of bullion too)
    Then at dinner time, remove 2 cups of liquid (if in crock pot) bring to a boil, turn down allow it to reduce in 1/2. Strain the remaining liquid saving the veggies to save. I like to add 1/4 cup sherry and reduce again (brandy will work) and it will remove the alcohol- you do not have to do this.
    Then I add 2 tbls corn starch to 1/4 cold water, stir to dissolve pour into boiling broth, let boil a short while, giving you a rich gravy. Add meat, veggies and warm up again, serve over rice or with potato. You can also have over toast or biscuits.
    If you prefer a cream base, add milk to your corn starch as 1/2 cup and good luck!

Personally I'm in love with Lipton onion soup mix and only have it when no one else is around! Ha ha...good luck and I think I'll do that with the chicken tonight! mmmm- thanks

9. freshegg

freshegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    greenfield,ma
    chicken ala king

10. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    How about chili? Nothing heartier than chili made with stew meat. Just cube it up smaller.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by