Have three ducks want to add another - same breed or no?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by HortenseCumberbatch, Jun 20, 2011.

1. HortenseCumberbatch

HortenseCumberbatch Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2011
    Hi there. I think I have two Khacki Cambells and a Pekin. They were sold to me as runners so I'm not entirely sure. I think the Pekin is lonely as the Khacki's seem to spend a lot of time together. I wonder if I should get another duck so there is a nice even number? Also wonder if I should get a new duck, should it be the same breed or if any additional duck will do. Thanks much.

2. keyt1969

keyt1969 Chillin' With My Peeps

I spent most of last summer with just 3 call ducks. Then I added another thinking I had 3 females. Now it turns out I have 4 males. Now, a year later I have 25 ducks from Calls to Muskovies.

I don't have an even amount of any breed and they all get along. Some spend time in groups like the 4 male calls won't spend any time with any of the bigger ducks. The Muskovies stay together as well as the Swedish. I often joke the duck run looks like high school with various "cliques" in different corners or places in the run.

I don't think it really matters, it's just your opinion on whether you want more or not. As far as getting the same or different breed, some prefer to have all the same, some, like me don't care. All of my ducks are happy (and spoiled) as they are.

3. HortenseCumberbatch

HortenseCumberbatch Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2011
    Thanks for the info. They all seem happy enough as it is. I was worried about preventing the little guy from pair bonding but I think he's probably fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by