Have to cage Lil'Bit for her own good, ur thoughts?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by gritsar, Aug 31, 2009.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Lil'Bit is half blind and small. She's always been real good about staying close to the flock and the rooster or with her "seeing eye" hen, Lilith.
    However, for the last two days LB has insisted on staying in the yard, away from the flock. I just went out and found her standing in a wide open area of the yard, with two vultures circling dangerously close overhead. Now I know vultures won't normally bother a chicken, but it bothered me the way they were looking at her.
    I took her back to the flock, set her down right next to the rooster and she beat me back to the yard!
    She's going thru a very hard molt. I don't know if that has anything to do with it?
    Maybe she's better off being caged for now? It would devastate me to lose her, especially.
    Your thoughts?

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I wouldn't take any chances, and I'd separate her. Do you have a space you could put her in with a buddy? Up her protein a bit if she's molting heavily...it will help her get through quicker.

Incidentally...I have a Lil' Bit, too. A Wheaten Ameraucana that was a late hatcher, and just a tiny thing...a sweetheart.

Best of luck with YOUR Lil' Bit!

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Thanks Wynette. I do have a wire dog crate all set up on the screened porch. Only I have rig temporary bowls for it until I get into town tomorrow and buy the correct bowls for it.
    I started upping everybody's protein last week when they starting molting. In fact, LB just finished a handful of shredded cheddar cheese.
    I can't remember what LB's original name was. Seems like she's just always been our Lil'Bit. I like that you have one too. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by