Have to get rid of my rooster--is he soothing?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Shreenith, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Shreenith

Shreenith Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2012
    Southern California
    Hi everyone; haven't been on the forum for a while. I got my sweet chickens a little more than a month ago--three Silver Ameraucanas, a Buff Cochin, and a Speckled Sussex. Unfortunately, it was apparent early on that one of my Ameraucanas was a rooster. He's always been darker than the others and when they started getting feathers, his were dark red. Now he's becoming a gorgeous fellow, larger than the others with a nicely-developing comb. Unfortunately, I can't have a rooster in my part of town, so I'm going to have to take him back to the breeder tonight. :( It's hard, because he and my dominant female have already become best friends. They go everywhere together.

I have a question--last night, my three largest chickens (the Ameraucanas; they're a bit older than the other two) were freaking out about something. I couldn't figure out what it was, but they were really scared and kept cheeping their alert cry. Eventually, as they were becoming a little calmer, I noticed that whenever the pullets screamed, the rooster gurgled a rattle in his throat. It sounded soothing, and it seemed to work. Does this really happen? And will taking him away upset the peace of my flock? I'm really sad to do it. :(

2. chicklover16

chicklover16 queen of flirts

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    yes, your rooster is comforting his hens. Usually removing a rooster from your flock puts the hens under stress, however it passes in a week or two. when I got rid of my rooster my hens stopped eatting for a couple of days, but now they are all back to normal.

3. Shreenith

Shreenith Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2012
    Southern California
    :( I feel so bad! He's only six weeks old. I really hope neither of the younger ones turn out to be a rooster. Poor chickens!

4. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    i hate this. i think i have 3 roosters in my bunch. i never intended roosters at all. i'm attached to them all darn it. my flock is small, so maybe i'll keep one rooster, but no way three.
    if i can bring myself to do it, i'm going to have the extras processed. that was my original plan anyway, i just didn't expect to get attached to the cuties. even the barred rock that has the uglies right now so bad, he's getting a complex, is adorable. my coop is designed for 10 birds, not 14.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by