Have to get rid of our chickens after one got killed.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Coffee4Me, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Coffee4Me

Coffee4Me Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2010
    When we came home from church this afternoon we found 5 of our 6 chickens in the garage (where their coop is). My daughter found the missing one (an auracana) dead in the back yard. Her neck was slashed open. Now my husband told us that we have to get rid of all of them. He sees them as a waste of time and money, and they stink.
    We've raised them from one week and they are 12 weeks old now. We have two buff orpingtons, two Plymouth Rocks, and now one auracana. Needless to say, my 12 year old and 14 year old daughters are in tears. My 16 and 18 year old daughters and me are okay. It was a good experience. I was just looking forward to the eggs.
    We also have two younger chickens that are about 8 weeks old. They haven't been outside yet. They are going too.
    My friend's father-in-law said that he would take them. He lives about an hour away in a direction that we don't travel. I asked, and he agreed to send us some eggs once in a while. That would be really neat. I was looking to get eggs about the beginning of October.
    [​IMG] You can see the hawk-like gray auracana that got killed today in the background under the car.
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  2. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    That is so sad. I"m sorry for your loss and the resulting troubles.
  3. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    So sorry to hear that. [​IMG]
  4. crosbygroup

crosbygroup Chillin' With My Peeps

Maybe you could just downsize to 4 chickens. They would keep you in eggs and having just 4 makes it easy to keep the coop clean. I have 4 and have never noticed the smell being a problem. I have a poop board under their roost and I scrape it off into the compost everyday. They keep my family of 5 in eggs and we even have a few to give away.

Good luck - I hope you don't have to give them all up.
  5. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I'm sorry you lost your chicken, and I'm sorry for your husband's attitude.
  6. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Wait there are four kids and he wants to get rid of expensive stinky things?!?! [​IMG]
  7. [​IMG] I am very sorry about that [​IMG] I hope it goes well!
  8. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    Quote:I will bet he doesn't smell too good 100% of the time. Most men are not quitters... MOST.
  9. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    AND.... until you have eaten an hour old egg... you have not lived.
    Sounds like it is a situation in motion.... He might come around....
  10. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    It would seem with that many nearly-grown kids around, keeping the coop clean wouldn't be too difficult with the right type of 'motivation', particularly the ones that are upset about having to get rid of the chickens. It also seems weird that your bird's neck was slashed like that. I'm sorry for your loss - Araucan's are so neat looking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by