Have to go away at Christmas what shall I do with ducklings?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Mccluckers, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Mccluckers

Mccluckers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2014
    uk
    Hi guys I have 2 call ducklings that we will have to leave for Christmas. We will be gone from lunchtime on the 23rd to the morning of the 26th December. I don't want to go away but my family are I have to, the duckling will be 7 weeks old and I don't know how I will leave them? The food is not a problem because I can leave enough and make sure they can't tip up the bowl but what will I do with water? Hellppppp!! I also have chickens but they are not a problem because they don't get their water mucky and horrible!! Help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Is their a friend, neighbour, relative that can come and check on them?

I admit i could not 'go away' with the amount of animals i have it would be impossible. Water would be my major worry, ducks can choke if they eat and lack it and your right ducks are terrible with it.

Hopefully others who travel will chime in...

3. Mccluckers

Jun 5, 2014
    uk

Thanks for replying my uncle is coming to see my granny on Christmas eve evening,Christmas day morning and Christmas Day evening so I could ask him to look in on them. Bu they would still be alone from lunchtime 23rd till 24th evening would they be okay with lots of food and water? Before I went away I could fill their water uo and leave them for that amount of time and see if they are alright?

4. seachainanmadra

seachainanmadra Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2014
    You could try to make a nipple drinker, which wouldn't give them water to dip their faces in, but could supply enough drinking water for them while you're gone. A few nipples in the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket would be plenty of water for the ducks while you're away, as long as you don't have a lot of them. I had to leave my ducks when they were about 12 weeks old this past summer and this was my solution for my flock of 4 ducks and 4 chickens. We had someone come by every day to check on them, but wanted to make it as easy as possible for the ducksitter, so we made sure they had enough food and water to last the entire time. Came home to half a bucket left, and some very happy ducks!

For play water, you could drill some larger holes at chest-height in a second bucket, so that the ducks could dip their faces in the water but couldn't get in and splash it out or empty the dish while you're gone.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]put out several

Only problem with nipple waterers is if they have never used them they may not know to drink out of them, i have a nipple waterer and when I put it out for my chickens/ducks this past summer no one even tried to use it they were so use to having buckets to drink out of. I don't think I'd try this unless they had used them before. But these in the pictures would work as long as they couldn't climb inside. Mc what about a friend or family member would anyone take the little ones for a few days? or stay at your home?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  6. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    You must find someone responsible to care for them. They are babies and need responsible care. I do not want to be mean but this should serve as a warning to people. If you are getting ducklings, you must think ahead and plan accordingly. What if the power goes out? What if they DO eat all the food too soon? What if nipple waters do not work? Really need to be a responsible owner. Sorry if this is harsh but I do practice what I preach. We do not travel together unless we have a pet sitter who can care for our pets

1 person likes this.
  7. Mrs.H

Mrs.H Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Can you bring them to someone's house to be watched?

8. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I agree that they are babies and need to have someone nearby. Leaving them even a day is risking their lives. Two baby calls? Where are you, generally speaking? Perhaps a BYC duck person can sit for them.

9. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I am disappointed, I had hoped you would be close to me so I could care for them. sigh.[​IMG]

10. Mccluckers

Jun 5, 2014
    uk

Yeah I am in the other England! I will try and ,indeed something up, thanks for everyone's help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by