Have to have auto turner with dry hatch? *Need info ASAP*

KDailey

Crazy Cochin Lady
8 Years
Jun 27, 2011
Bronson, Tx
Well the title says it all: Do I HAVE to have an automatic turner to do dry incubation successfully?

I really like the concept of dry incubation and I'm looking between two different incubators. One will come with the turner but not much else as far as thermometer, etc. The other comes with the electric thermometer, a few other things I like but no auto turner. There's only a $10 difference in the two, they're both hova bator, but if I get the one with all the extras I'll have to buy the turner for another $60.

I've only got a few hours to decide before i'll have to go home and won't have access to internet anymore.

ETA: Which is better for dry incubation: still air or circulated?

Last edited:
I would get the one with the turner, it is so much better, especially if you work and be there to turn the eggs every couple of hours. I have the still air incubator, does great. Since mine has a turner, I made a incubator out of a styrofoam icechest for the hatching out process.

Last edited:
So for the hatching process is a styrofoam ice chest with a heat lamp ok or would I need to do something more sophisticated?

Definately circulated air. Helps keep even temps throughout and no hot or cold spots. I've got turners for all of mine.....much easier than having to hand turn several times a day. No, you don't have to have a turner for dry incubation.....but much easier. Unless they have changed the thermometer that comes with them, junk it and go to Walmart and buy a combo thermoter-hygrometer for $10 bucks.

Yes I would plan on them all being due on the same day. But when do I "convert" it to a hatcher? When I do lockdown or do you move each egg as it starts pipping?

If you know they are all supposed to hatch at the same time, go ahead on day 18, remove the turner bump up humidity. Put mayber some papertowels down to help with the mess.

Quote:
I take mine out of the turner on day 19 (beginning of "lockdown") and put them in egg cartons in the hatcher. Try not to open the hatcher the last three days as it can mess up your humidity levels and you can end up with shrink wrapped chicks.

I would want one with a fan and a turner, and for the incubator to not be (LITTLE GIANT) lol just kidding I had the Little Giant for 4 years before i stopped using it. I use the homemade bators now. You will want to get to wal-mart and buy a digital thermometer/hygrometer. I bought mine for 6 dollars and just a couple of months ago I saw them on Clearance for 3 dollars.

Back
Top Bottom