Have to make the big decision...the worst decision...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by walkerkm, Jul 15, 2010.

1. walkerkm

walkerkm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2009
    Ma
    Here's a few photo's of Kelly my RIR that i will need to put down this week due to Egg Peritonitis...not an easy thing to do.
    On Tuesday, the vet did an ultrasound and the pulled out 136 ml of yolk fluid. Poor girl. She was really having a hard time breating. As of last night, her belly was filled again...i don't feel that she's strong enough for the spay surgery...please tell me there is nothing else i can do and this is the right decision. If there is anything more i can do, i'll do it.

They gave me baytril (give .2 ml 2x per day) and metacam (give .25 ml per day).

Just me-Kelly-mom loves me the most
    [​IMG]

Kelly with her BFF Noodle
    [​IMG]

Mom loves me and my sister-she always gives us warm oatmeal when it's cold out.
    [​IMG]

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Aww, poor thing. That's real suffering for a chicken, so yes, you're doing the right thing. [​IMG]

3. dmccann

dmccann Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    darlington pa
    My Coop
    Kelly, you are a good chickie mom.Treasure the memories,as we all do.

4. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    I'm sorry you guys have to go through this. [​IMG]

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It hurts.... but you dont want needless suffering neither. I wish you the best.

6. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    You have obviously given your Kelly a very good life and care very much for her. You have also tried to help her become well by taking her to the vet and treating her as best you can. whatever decisions you need to make now will continue to be the right ones for you and for Kelly. [​IMG].

7. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I can't post a link to the surgery but yes there is more you can do as long as the condition hasn't gone septic. You have a PM

The vet can do surgery as with an internal layer and remove the overies while he is in there. She will never lay an egg again but could live many more years.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by