Have to put my mini down...this totally sucks

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by StruckBy, Jan 5, 2014.

1. StruckBy

StruckBy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2012
    Marcola, OR
    Nearly a month ago, one of my minis foundered for unknown reasons. Not overweight, no feed changes. Our only two guesses are that either someone gave her an excess of treats (we live on a dead-end road that a LOT of people use for walking) despite us being set back, or it was mechanical due to crazy ice & snow we had that week...vet doesn't want to comment one way or another. It's now become clear that we're not going to be able to get her comfortable again (she's just a pet...no need to be sound as long as she's not in pain). I've put down a disturbing number of horses over the years (that's what happens when you do rescue...sometimes the kindest thing you can do is give them freedom from a lifetime of pain) and never hesitated before when it was clearly what was best for the horse. This time, I'm having a lot of trouble getting past the complications.

A) I adopted these 2 minis to keep my riding horse company this summer. Shortly after that, I decided to board my riding mare so I wouldn't have to haul to ride (do dressage...an arena makes life MUCH easier). So I kept the 2 minis just as pets. But they are mother-daughter, in their teens, and the daughter has NEVER been away from her mom & of course is incredibly herd bound to her. Of course, it was the mom who foundered. What on earth do I do with the daughter? I don't have any other horses on my property. And as amazing as my hubby is, I know his reaction if I say "let's get another pony companion for the pony I got to keep Foxy company." Especially when hay is running $250/ton & we're almost out.

B) There are 2 neighbor girls who come over to groom the ponies almost daily. They are VERY attached to the ponies (and the ponies to them). One of the girls rode when she was younger, but when one of her parents (the horsey one) passed away a couple years ago, the remaining parent had to sell their horses. Having access to the ponies has been a big deal for her. What kind of repayment is it to all the people who helped me with my love for horses when I was that age if I just get rid of the ponies?

This sucks sucks sucks. Someone wave a magic wand over my pony & make her better please?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I wish that I had that 'magic wand'. Good luck with your decision.

3. mindylee

mindylee Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2012
    Lapeer Michigan
    Dose ur lil minis feet look like elf shoes?
    What type of hay and how much?
    Do you grain?
    How long is her heals and r they foundered on front or back?
    Do you have a pic of her and her feet?

Reason I ask so much is that I am a miniature equine farrier.

Remission is a great supplement for founder horses.
    If feeding grain, stop!
    Hay, 1st cutting 2 decent size flakes only once a day.
    Banamine from vet for pain.
    If her feet are elfed, heals need trimmed back and shoes knocked off only till youhit live sole. Keep trimming every 30 days to reced back blood flow.
    If the coffin bone rotated to much then it might be to late but only a xray can tell you. If only seperation of the sole and hoof wall, then she could be saved. A mare in her teens is still young. I have a 18 pregnant ex founder mare who I saved and yet have slipped back into founder since I bought her I 2008.
    Some times with minis of this age, they have this issue in their bloodlines and unfourtently inherent these issues.

As for your other mini, yes shes totally bonded. Her loss of her mommy could bevery dificult on her and send her Iinto depression. If do place her in new home, make sure with other minis. If keeping her, find another mini her age or younger to fill that boid.minis are free everywhere and easily found on websites like lilbeginnings or can place her there as well.
    Whatever decission, good luck and hope this helps.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. horsedirt

horsedirt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2013
    Morriston Florida
    Im so sorry. Laminitis is the most painful afflction for an animal and frustrating or an owner.

5. StruckBy

StruckBy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2012
    Marcola, OR
    We did another set of xrays & my vet convinced me to give her another 8 weeks (which will be two more corrective trims) & see how it goes. Of course, he saw her on the best day she's had in a month. Everytime I watch her hobble over to eat or drink (although at least she's doing that again...for awhile she would barely eat & she was already thinner than I like) I regret giving in on it. I just hate seeing an animal in pain when the odds of it getting better are such a toss-up.

6. mindylee

mindylee Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2012
    Lapeer Michigan
    What ever you end up doing
    You are doing right for her
    :)
    Crossin my fingers for the best for ya!

7. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Sometimes there are just no easy answers.[​IMG] If it were just a matter of one small animal and her pain, you'd know what to do; sounds like you would already have done it. But this little gal's absence would create pain for a number of others, and partly for love of them, you are letting her stay a bit longer. It sounds like the vet still holds out hope for her; maybe he's right. Even if it turns out that you are just postponing the inevitable, perhaps something will happen during the next couple of months that will solve the rest of the dilemma for you.[​IMG]

(BTW, I have 2 miniature horses and a mini mule. I know how the little rascals can work their way into your heart!)

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by