Have to redesign the roost

Austinite

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 18, 2011
So, I thought this 2" diameter dowel going across the henhouse like this would work OK, but now that I see what actually happens when the birds are on it, I see a major logistical issue. See photo below. This is the coop mid-construction, BTW, before I finished it. The nest box hangs off the left side outside and the birds enter the coop on the 2nd floor onto a platform to the left of that dowel you see. When all 3 of them (still just a few weeks old) sit on the dowel, TWO of the three obviously cannot get off the roost! If they wanted to get off, they'd have to just let themselves fall down to the rice hulls below.

92334_coop.jpg

So, I'm thinking of doing this: I'll take the dowel out and replace it with a roost-ladder with two or three 2x4s, which starts on the 2nd floor to the left (where the left side of the dowel is now) and steps down to the rice hulls on the 1st floor. So, those 2x4s would be front-to-back, not left-to-right like in my dowel pic. Does that make sense? Or would the chickens all end up crammed on the top one? They wouldn't be ABLE to, really, as this henhouse is narrow front-to-back. With my ladder idea, not only could they get around each other but they could access the 1st floor if they wanted to for some reason.

Quote:
The floor is two feet down. However, I don't think they'd be able to hop up OR down once they are bigger. The thing really is pretty narrow front-to-back esp. between the dowel and either the front or back of the house. That's why I'm thinking of turning the roost(s) sideways in the ladder formation. And I guess the only reason I'm thinking it should lead down to the 1st floor is that it would make *some* use of that space down there. (?) I suppose the alternative is the idea I read on another post where the roost ladder doesn't lead down but is level. Then that whole bottom level would just be a place to poo into from above.

You can move the dowel over so it's not in the center, would give them more room to get up or down. 2ft really isn't much of a distance, unless you have Silkies. Mine fly right up to the 7ft roost or others will fly to a mid level bar, like the window sill and then up to the very top. Nearly all fly right down the 7ft to the ground and out the door...

Back
Top Bottom