Have to rehome my rooster! :( Should I send along his girlfriend??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by speakup4kids, Jul 26, 2010.

1. speakup4kids

speakup4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Yuba City , CA
    I have recently come to accept, (like this morning after the 3 hours of constant crowing at the garbage trucks!) that I will have to take up my husband's friend's generous offer to take my favorite rooster off of my hands for me. He has no rooster restrictions where he lives and has recently been looking to restart a flock. This is where my concern comes in... the man doesn't currently have any chickens and I don't want my roo to go and be a lone chicken. I know that he is planning to get more and he may soon but I don't want my rooster to miss his friends. [​IMG] Should I send along his girlfriend with him? They are super bonded and cry for each other when I put my roo in time out. [​IMG] The only real problem with this scenario is that these are my two favorite chickens. Hercules, (the girlfriend) is my miracle chick and Fromes is just my favorite. I know Fromes has to go, I guess I'm just looking for an answer about Hercules.... UGH... Chicken DRAMA [​IMG]
    The two in question ...
    [​IMG]

2. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    Sometimes you have to break your heart in order to do what is right. Deep down you know that you aren't going to send your roo off by himself to be lonely without his girlfriend, even if she is your favorite. I wish you and your chickies the best.

3. PitterPatterPalace

PitterPatterPalace Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree with baymule.

On the bright side, it sounds as if you may get to see them again

4. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Maybe you should tell them to go ahead and get some chickens, then you'll give them your roo. Why do you have to get rid of your roo?

5. speakup4kids

speakup4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Yuba City , CA
    I can't have roosters in the city and he really is a loud one! I know that I should send along both of them and probably will because it really is the right thing to do. Thanks for the reinforcement!

6. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    I think the right thing to do is to give them both to him. Chickens do really bond to one another, and it's sad to split them up if they are that way! My serama rooster Prince and hen Charming are like that, they're almost always together. I call them husband and wife! It's always hard to give up chickens, especially favorites, but I'm sure you're doing the right thing for them and that they'll have a great life with your friend. [​IMG] And on the upside, you can always go visit them!

7. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    [​IMG] I am sorry for your loss, but do not dispare, I have Delawares and not all roosters crow non stop. At least as far as I know, my Nick is older and doesn't crow to much. Though he has a nice sounding crow. Perhaps you may wish to try again. Of course nothing can replace your favorite, but it may lessen the pain some.

Rancher [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by