have to share!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kimmerjo, Aug 19, 2013.

1. kimmerjo

kimmerjo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2013
    western new york
    [​IMG]. So I was starting to put up the frame of my chicken run . I went to my father inlaw for advice on the best way to do it. I explained about hwc and how I wanted a roof ...etc so this wondful man says "well instead of running yourself in the dirt with $200+ in wire why not take this old batting cage I have in the garage"!!! It has some holes but easily fixable. It's going to be so nice I will put a picture when we get it up:)

2. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    It is not clear exactly how you intend to use this mesh, but the purpose of the wire mesh on a chicken coop is to prevent predators from tearing a way into the coop and run. You might seriously evaluate how well this old batting cage mesh will serve the intended purpose versus wire mesh keeping out the predators.

Chris

3. sn0wwhite

sn0wwhite Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    MN
    I bet that batting cage mesh could work well as flying predator protection over the top of a run!

4. kimmerjo

May 15, 2013
    western new york
    The net is very heavy duty. The squares are about an half inch . The net is made of heavy rope coated in thick plastic. Around the sides there will be a 5 ft pallet fence and a 2 ft skirt. I'm home most days so if something trys to get in I can stop it. And my coop will be locked up tight at night time. So hopefully it will work:)

5. OScarlet

OScarlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2013
    Our pampered dogs chew threw 1 1/2 in rope without any problems. You might like to use it in conjunction with wire panels unless you are always always going to have the chickens in before dusk and you check the net each and every time you put the chickens out. I've seen predators out during the day and we live in a suburban neighbourhood in a large city.

6. kimmerjo

May 15, 2013
    western new york
    Yes I will inspect the net every day . I'm a stay at home mom the only reason I leave the house is to grocery shop and doctors .There will also be a hwc run that is connected to the actual coop it will be about 12x8 . This is just some extra room for my chickens ( getting 15) to run around in :)

7. OScarlet

Jul 30, 2013
    Ooh I thought this was your main run!

8. kimmerjo

May 15, 2013
    western new york
    No I will only use the net run when I'm home to watch:)

9. OScarlet

Jul 30, 2013
    I plan to make one of those eventually [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by