Have to tell my MS positive story

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by homeschoolchick, Dec 10, 2011.

1. homeschoolchick

homeschoolchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Mechanicsville, MD
    Well, it happened. I had a silkie hen who got weak and wobbly. I isolated her and gave her all the extra vitamins and nutrients out there, but she still wasn't getting any better. I thought maybe she had some kind of bacterial infection internally since she had no external symptoms aside from weakness and lethergy,so after talking with the state lab, decided to give her tetracycline. She got better!

A few weeks later my silkie cockerel didn't put himself in the coop and I noticed then he was weak and droopy. I brought him inside and gave him water, along with poultry cell and some egg. The next morning he was dead. I got scared because of the previous hen and now this guy......seemed like a contagious disease! I sent him into the lab and the next day a poulet started acting weak as well. I then just new in my heart it was MG ( hadn't heard of MS yet). She was the only one that showed a clear runny nose and then a couple days later her eyes were crusting over.

The lab results came back that my Oreo had MS. He died from only MS, no secondary infection. The lab came out to swab the other chickens and take my sick one. It turns out the rest my chickens have MS too. I have ten left ( 4 silkies, and 6 polish). The poulet that was sick had MS and she was dying from a different cause than Oreo. Milkshake , my poulet, had air saculitis from the MS. Oreo didn't show much of anything accept some fluid in his sinuses.

I now have a few other chickens with what sounds like a stuffy nose.

I keep reading about people with chickens that have symptoms of limping and paralysis and/or colds etc., well there are two types of symptoms from MS, the one causes CRD and the other causes swollen joints and paralysis.

We started off just thinking a few silkies would be fun and my son could take care of them. Then we enjoyed them so much it grew and we ended up having polish too. I loved the idea of watching my broody silkies hatching babies that I decided we would have more silkies and get another pen to seperate my WCB polish out from the buff and get a rooster for them. I was going to give away or take the extra chickens we couldn't keep to the local auction. I just wanted to enjoy breeding them and hatch out a few babies as we went. I also started getting interested in cochins as well.

Now all the fun is gone. I now have ten chickens I don't know what to do with. They all have names and personalities, but my dreams are over. If I keep them I can't do anything with them but treat them for symptoms and watch them eventually die from MS. I know I can have a closed flock, but everytime I look at them all I can think about is MS. I know we can eat their eggs, but I can't bring myself to do it.

I know after reading A LOT of posts that there are many breeders and people who have this in there flock and are in denial or claiming ignorance with out testing. It is frustrating! If I start all over again I could just be in the same situation again. We either need to accept that it is out there and not worry about it and treat for it, ( which is what seems to be the norm) or start testing everyone to try to irradicate it.

I don't know what to do. I was just going to keep a closed flock, but I keep thinking about how I could start all over with a hardier breed and try to have fun again.

Does anyone have a sanctuary for carrier chickens? Boy, that would be nice!

Well, thanks for an ear ( or eyes [​IMG] )

Sincerely not knowing what to do,

Michele

Oh, and yes, the state lab said that most of Maryland has MG/MS positive flocks! So I can't speak for the rest of the country but from reading other threads where people have spoken to their state lab and having spoken to my state lab, it appears that several states on the east coast have been taken over. If you look at how many sales are coming from hatcheries and from all the breeders who go to shows and swaps, and all the eggs/live birds shipped everywhere, wild birds, and just plain the obvious, MG/MS is everywhere! Yes, that will cause people to become relaxed about it, but I think they already have. As I stated above, what should we do about it? We should all seriously consider this situation and try to come together as friends to figure out what should be done!

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Michele, I'm sorry you're going through this. It seems mycoplasma diseases are rampant, coryza as well. Like you mentioned, you'll have to maintain a closed flock if you decide to keep them.
    You can treat them with denagard, which is used specifically to treat mycoplasma diseases. There's a one time treatment dose and a monthly preventative dose. Birds will still be carriers. There isnt any withdrawal for egg consumption, nor resistance to it like with other antibiotics. Denagard can be purchased from QC Supply. Hope this helps, here's a link:
    http://www.denagard.com/pig-poultry-public/en/index.shtml

3. homeschoolchick

Jul 9, 2011
    Mechanicsville, MD
    Hi Dawg,

Yes, I purchased the denegard. I am just still in limbo as to what to do [​IMG]

4. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    I am so sorry to hear about your situation.
    I understand your pain.
    I am in a very similar situation.
    We wanted to raise chicks and maybe sell some of the roosters or chickens that we didn't want to keep.
    This was suppose to be something fun for me and my fiance. Ive always loved chickens and grew up with them.
    Then i got sick with a chronic illness and everything went down hill from there.
    Getting chickens again was suppose to be something liberating and like a "new start" since ive gotten alittle better.
    I bought some chickens and they have now been sick since the beginning of October.
    It started off with one looking sick, i isolated her and tried to keep her from infecting the others.
    Put them all on tetracycline, they looked better, till they went off it.
    Now they are all sick, even though i tried to quarantine, i assume they were all sick before they got here, so it didn't helped anyway [​IMG].
    They have/had sneezing, sounded like they had stuffy nose, swollen face/eyes, clear nasal discharge, lethargy, not eating, shivering, puffed up, lots of weird sounded breathing issues.
    Some days i thought i was really going to lose them and had to sit their for hours revitalizing them.
    Ive spent hundreds of dollars trying to get them better and find out what this is.
    I'm very attached to my chickens, they are like my children.
    I got the sickest one tested for MG and MS and after getting results, it came back negative for MG but they suspect MS (didn't come back as a clear positive or negative but vet thinks that with the symptoms and possibility that its definitely some kind of CRD).
    Apparently alot of people who bought from the same person, their birds ended up getting sick, even dieing.
    The seller wouldn't believe when me and other people claimed their birds probably have some kind of CRD and they should get theirs tested and stop selling to people.
    I was going to keep a closed flock too because i couldn't bear putting them down.
    But after watching them suffer for so long and knowing they won't get better i have decided to get them put down and necropsy-ed, so i atleast have the peace of mind of knowing what made them so sick.
    Not saying you should do this, what ever you decide to do is your choice, just saying what i am doing.
    I wish you the best. [​IMG]
    Its so sad to see so many peoples flocks getting sick and infected with disease that we can't cure [​IMG]

5. homeschoolchick

Jul 9, 2011
    Mechanicsville, MD
    Thank you for your response. I am sorry to hear about your chronic illness. I am glad you are feeling a little better. I hope you can get it under control.

That would be very frustrating to have an inconclusive result!

The breeder would rather not get their flock tested, because it is better for them to not know.

I am sending warm hugs your way! [​IMG]

I am wondering how much extra it will cost if I end up keeping my flock. The only reason they are still here is because they are pets, but the lab said they would come get them if I wanted to start over. No one else is acting poorly right now which is why I am torn. If they all were acting depressed I would have had them humanely put down.

6. foxypoproxy

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    Quote:Ya, i thought i was finally going to find out what was wrong, a yes or no answer, once we had the test done.
    We waited over a week for the results and then we got them, we payed $80 for a "maybe....... maybe not" I know its not the labs fault, its just frustrating [​IMG].
    But they did say it has to be CRD they are just not sure if its MS causing it or not.

I understand your conundrum.
    Mine are strictly pets too. I love chickens, they have such great personality's and are so fun to raise and watch.
    They are honestly like my therapy animals .
    I was very torn with mine too, one day they look great and the next i find them getting worse, showing more symptoms or even passed out.
    But because they weren't getting better it got me thinking more and more about it..
    Because it is chronic AND contagious, that was a big issue for us.
    If it was just chronic it wouldn't be soo bad, but a big reason i choose to cull is because i also have close by neighbors who have chickens and i don't want them getting it.
    I would just fee awful, and feel horrible whenever anyone is going through this with their flock.
    so, i guess that definitely was a big influence on my decision. I didn't want to spread it even more then it had been spread.
    There is no right or wrong decision.
    No matter what you choose to do.
    In my situation this was just the best choice for us, even though we are heartbroken about it now.

We are still dreading and almost like holding off the phone call to UCON [​IMG]

We have decided to only hatch eggs from now on, so we never have this issue again [​IMG].
    Quarantining just doesn't work when it's something this contagious.

Anyway, i wish you guys the best with whatever choice you make! [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  7. homeschoolchick

Jul 9, 2011
    Mechanicsville, MD
    Thank you! I have thought of starting over with eggs as well, but there is still that chance of the eggs being infected too.

I have neighbors with in walking distance of either side of us who have chickens...we don't visit each other but I wonder if my flock could somehow infect theirs?

Sorry for the short posts, but I have a sleeping baby in my lap [​IMG]

8. homeschoolchick

Jul 9, 2011
    Mechanicsville, MD
    I can understand the dread and holding off the phone call. Everytime I think of culling them I picture my sweet chickens being carried off [​IMG] knowing their fate [​IMG]

9. foxypoproxy

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    Quote:Ya, i know it can be passed down through the egg [​IMG].
    I meant buying hatching eggs from a reliable breeder (hoping from their good reputation they would be disease free).

10. foxypoproxy

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    Quote:Ya, i just want to make sure they are put down humanly, i wouldn't want them to do something like the "heart stick method" without anesthesia.
    So we are going to ask them how they are putting them down.
    And even then it just hurts thinking of them being carried away...and thats it, they are gone forever [​IMG]
    We want to try and get their ashes...not sure if they will let us though..

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by