Have to tell this story..... Best guard dog ever

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by rebecca100, Aug 6, 2009.

1. rebecca100

rebecca100 Songster

Apr 1, 2008
    Arkansas
    When we lost our house to the tornado we stayed with family and the only things I could bring were the dogs. I safely(I thought) penned up in steel panels my goats and sheep. We lived in the woods with no neighbors. My chickens ducks and geese were put in a shed with a wire door until I could get arrangements for them. As you can imagine they didn't last very long. Coyotes came in the night a couple nights later and killed everything! Big and little the next morning everything was dead. I cried for days over my animals. Well, later we moved back there in a camper and I got a few more animals including goats, chickens, rabbits, geese and ducks. When my dad got sick and passed we moved into his old place, first to take care of him and then to live. Once again I was forced to leave my animals behind. I brought everything I could with the exeptions of what could not be brought onto his lot(goats, geese) and what I couldn't catch( you know like chickens that roost in trees!) and one of my dogs that I trusted to be loose and not to roam around while I was not there an english bulldog/pittbull cross named Misfit. I hoped that maybe the scent of a dog around might keep the coyotes at bay, but I didn't have much hope for the chickens that were left there. Well I went everyday to check on Misfit and I left an open bag of food where she could get it. A few days turned into about 2 months. Everyday she was there waiting on me when I pulled up, and until the day that I got her not a single animal was harmed by anything. When I got her and the rest of my animals, all were fat and sassy and accounted for plus a couple. Unfortunately there were a couple of mucovies and two bantam roosters and a hen that I couldn't catch and planned on coming back the next day to get. The next day they were no longer there and coyote and raccoon tracks were in the driveway! Baby chicks even hatched unharmed while she was there! We still have her and she is as much a part of the family as the rest of us and when we needed her she did her job when I was going through troubling times with my dad. If all dogs could just be like that!! And everytime I read about people with chicken killing dogs, I want to tell them about my dog who did the work of a human to take care of the farm while I was not there!

2. highcountrychickens

highcountrychickens Head Rooster Jouster

Aug 28, 2008
    Jackson Hole
    What a faithful treasure! I too wish more dogs were like that... it has to do with the owners to a large extent, but a dog like yours truly shines - and to shine through such hard times makes her even more gilded. Thanks so much for sharing this story.

3. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I agree. What an awesome dog! That's how my dogs are. Protect your family. Way to go, Misfit! You're not such a misfit after all. You get a gold star....uhhh...doggie treat![​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Misfit!

4. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    What a good girl ... **pats Misfit on the head**

"Goooood girl"

5. cmjust0

cmjust0 Songster

Apr 30, 2009
    Central KY
    There's just nothing in the world that can take the place of a good dog, is there?

[​IMG]

6. Hotwings

Hotwings Songster

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    That was a great story and a plus for pits and pit crosses. Not every pit is a bloodthirsty killer. Misfit is not a misfit but a hero!

7. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Songster

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    SUPER DOG da da da da da da da SUPER DOG [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Quote:Absolutely not! [​IMG]

8. scooter147

scooter147 Songster

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Sounds like Misfit should get a little more then just dog food for her work.
    Maybe a little cooked hamburger and scrambled egg mixed together??!!
    A few years back we had a BAD storm move through and it knocked most of the front off the coop, well a big branch did.
    Well we had damage to the house too so that had to be fixed first, so each night my FU a lab/chow mix had to sleep with the chickens.
    The poor thing thoght she was being punshed for something, you could tell she didn't understand when I put her in there but she did her job, didn't loose a single bird.
    She got the hamburger and scrambled egg dinner each night when she was put with the hens to try to make up for it.

9. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Songster

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    Very cool!! [​IMG]

10. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Songster

Jun 29, 2009
    Oh, what a sweetie dog!

She went through a LOT. What a faithful friend she is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: