Have two roosters, but i wanna keep them, separate?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by FriesianGroupie#1, Jul 20, 2010.

1. FriesianGroupie#1

FriesianGroupie#1 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2010
    Bethune
    Hello!!

I have 4 chickens 10 weeks old. Two of them have started their rooster crowing lessons (hehehe) which is adorable! I know that we dont want baby chicks, i want to eat the eggs from the two hens when they start laying.

My questions are:
    1. When should take the boys out so that we dont get any fertilized eggies?

2. If the run was big enough and they had two separate boxes to sleep in, could the boys live together? would they have to far away for the hens, or could they be attached to the girl's run?

3. I live in the woods and am worried about animals getting to loose chickens at night, but would a rooster be able to fend off a dog or hawks?

4. Even if I let the roosters loose in the yard and in their own chicken boxes at night, would they fight even if hey have my whole 3 acre slice of heaven?

5. Is my only option if keeping them to create separate chicken condos?

Thanks!!!!
    Shereena

2. ChickenCop

ChickenCop Chillin' With My Peeps

1. When should take the boys out so that we dont get any fertilized eggies?

Im curious what your concern about the eggs being fertilized...They will taste the same either way.
    2. If the run was big enough and they had two separate boxes to sleep in, could the boys live together? would they have to far away for the hens, or could they be attached to the girl's run?
    The boys will live together but be prepared for them to fight alittle bit and they
    will eventually figure out who the boss is and which one isnt..(you will see this in your hens too when they get older) its called a pecking order
    3. I live in the woods and am worried about animals getting to loose chickens at night, but would a rooster be able to fend off a dog or hawks?
    If you can lock them up at night, for they will be in great risk of getting eaten. Roosters are great watch dogs for your hens but are no contest to dogs or hawks.

4. Even if I let the roosters loose in the yard and in their own chicken boxes at night, would they fight even if hey have my whole 3 acre slice of heaven?

Again they will fight until they get that pecking order straightened out...I would seriously consider letting them stay with the hens that way each of them will have their own little group that the hens will decide in the future which rooster to hang out with. (This works very well for me)
    5. Is my only option if keeping them to create separate chicken condos?
    No need for that...

I hope this helps out and best of luck to you!

3. FriesianGroupie#1

Jun 17, 2010
    Bethune
    thanks that is very helpful!!!

I am confused now though, um I want to eat the chicken eggs, but if i have my rooster in the coop with the girls, wouldnt there be babies in the eggs and not the classic yolk and egg white that you get from the store? I really dont want to eat a baby chick! only the 'duds'. I am confused!!

Thanks!
    Shereena

4. imusa76

imusa76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Rhode Island
    Fertilized and unfertilized eggs are the same, if you keep the fertlized Egg warm, it will start to develop after a few days, if you pic the eggs and keep them cool, they will not develop at all.
    no need to worry about eating baby chicks.

5. FriesianGroupie#1

Jun 17, 2010
    Bethune
    ohhh okay thanks!!!

Shereena

6. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    If you gather the eggs every day and refridgerate them you will never know the difference between an egg that has been fertalized or one that hasn't.

Keep all of your birds together and avoid problems down the road. If roos have been raised together you have a better than average chance that all will live in harmony. If you separate them for any length of time they lose the pecking order and if you try to reintoduce them all bets are off.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by