Have y'all seen the moon?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by ilovemychickies, Jun 18, 2008.

1. ilovemychickies

ilovemychickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi all! Have y'all gone outside and seen the moon recently? It's beautiful! It's so bright and big! I had seen on the news earlier that there was going to be a full moon and that it was going to be pretty, they were right! I just wanted to let y'all know in case anyone wanted to see it. [​IMG]

Ashleigh

2. Parson's Wife

Parson's Wife Blessed Abundantly

Jan 22, 2008
    Arkansas
    [​IMG] sure did, ours is kinda dirty colored...but BIG! We were watching it when we came out of church for a little while.

3. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    I sure did and it's big and so pretty.

4. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Our moon is drifting in and out of the clouds it's gorgeous!!

5. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    "I see the moon, and the moon sees me...God bless the moon, and God bless me!"

6. Parson's Wife

Parson's Wife Blessed Abundantly

Jan 22, 2008
    Arkansas
    Is anyone else seeing a kinda dirty film over it? Sometimes the moon is bright white...but tonight it's beige.
    I love how big and solomn it looks.

7. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    Earlier it was orangey gold and HUGE . . . what I call Halloween moons. It always looks like that (dirty and big) when it's just over the horizon. Gorgeous.
    I just went back out, and now it's in its "roadkill moon" stage . . . bright white and encouraging little (and not so little) critters to be on the move. Careful driving!
    I love the moon . . . and just think, people have been there! It's amazing what people can accomplish.

8. MoonbeamQueen

MoonbeamQueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Meadow Vista
  9. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    The moon has an orange glow because when it's on the horizon, you're looking at it at an angle where there's more atmosphere between you and the moon, than when it's overhead.

It's most obvious during a full moon, but the moon appears larger each time it rises and sets. There are two leading explanations to explain the "moon illusion." One is that objects in the foreground make the moon seem farther in the distance. The other, more historically popular, explanation is that the brain interprets the more distant objects as wider and that this distance illusion may make the eye focus differently.

The moon looks particularly beautiful due to the upcoming solstice [​IMG]

10. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    Yep, it made it to San Diego, looks great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by