Have y'all skipped vacation because of your chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Southern28Chick, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    I got my first chicks in May. DH and I have skipped any type of vacation this summer because I didn't trust anyone to care for my chickens. Isn't that sad.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2007
  2. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    You think it's sad?.........sorry to hear that......I thought it was normal. We haven't had a vacation for several years, well, ever since we've had chickens. [​IMG] It's all dh's fault, I've offered but he just won't let them come along........

3. My husband has complained about that since we've been married (actually he doesn't complain anymore --- he knows 'that's just the way it is').

Lisa

4. Motherhenandflock

Motherhenandflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Southeast Idaho
    My 2 teens have never been on a vacation! Mostly money was the issue.
    Over the Fourth of July, they went with my DH to visit his parents. I stayed home because of all the animals. Plus, who wants to visit the inlaws? Ugh.

5. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    I live in NC so I have the mountains a few hours away on one side and the beach a few hours away on the other side. Vacation is such an easy thing but I just can't leave my babies.

6. BeckyLa

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    Depends on how many hours away. We go on day trips all the time with no problem, I just make sure we are home before dark to be sure everyone is tucked in properly. [​IMG] A real hoot for the holidays when it's dark by 4 or 5 in the afternoon.

7. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    My family and inlaws think I'm crazy. As soon as 7:30 comes around I tell DH it's time to go home, the girls go to bed at 7:30 sharp. I have to be there to close all the doors and make sure everyone is ok.

8. jackiedon

jackiedon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    I have a great co-worker and neighbor who was raised taking care of chickens and she loves my goats so we don't worry. She comes twice a day to care for them. But we really missed them.

jackie

9. BeckyLa

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    I thought that's what we're supposed to do. They may be just birds to them but they're our family. Would they leave their kids alone at the mall after it's closed? Same thing (in my book). Who would be called crazy then? And I bet their kids don't even make them breakfast. [​IMG]

all said in jest, btw

Last edited: Jul 30, 2007
  10. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    Quote:I know people who dress their dogs up like dolls then they look at me "like you have chickens and you LOVE them?" Some people just don't understand. My brother in law thinks it's FUNNY that my baby roo was killed by a snake!!! He LAUGHS in my face about it!!! I might just go insane one day and knock him out!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by