Have you been pooped on today?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cyanne, Jun 24, 2008.

1. cyanne

cyanne Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    So, I've recently discovered that my purpose in life, according to my chicks anyway, is to serve as their jungle gym. [​IMG]

If I go out to the new coop to sit and visit, they immediately mob me and start fighting for the best perching spots. I inevitably end up with chickens on every available surface including the top of my head, both arms, my legs, and my lap. They are still kind of small (ages range from 2 weeks to 13 wks) so about 6 - 8 at a time can find a comfy spot. This means that there are a couple dozen more who WANT to perch but there is no room. Solution? Land on one of the other chicks, knock them off, and claim their prized perch. [​IMG]

It turns into a crazy free-for-all with birds flying all around squawking and fussing with me in the middle getting scratched and hit in the face with feathers. So I guess this means that all of my efforts to tame them down and make them less afraid of me worked, huh? [​IMG]

Also, I am pleasantly surprised that my two blue andalusian pullets are almost always the first to climb up and the last to get bored of the game. In fact, they usually stick around and fall asleep perched on my arms after everyone else wanders away to eat. And if they do leave for a bit and I try to pick up another chick to give it some attention, they coming rushing back and repeatedly try to scare the interloper away by landing right on top of it! This from the birds which my research told me tended to "avoid human contact!" [​IMG]

The only bad part about becoming a human jungle gym? Chickens have to poop sometime...

*sigh* I guess nothing keeps you humble like sitting on the floor of a chicken coop and getting pooped on first thing in the morning. [​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Poop is my life. I'm pooped on daily. No biggie. It washes off, LOL.

3. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Have I been pooped on today? Not yet, actually, but I was really careful because I was already dressed for work when I went to say good morning to my 3 girls.

There's always tonight. It's gorgeous here in WA State so I definitely plan to eat out in my back yard with the chickens free ranging for a couple of hours!

4. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I haven't been pooped on yet today, but there is still time! [​IMG]

5. CathyB

CathyB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    PA
    Not yet today, but I am still hopefull!!

6. ladyrua

ladyrua Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2008
    As a newbie to chickens (my first batch are 7 weeks old today), I don't know WHAT I would have thought about the idea of being pooped on if someone had told me before I got them!

Now, well, now I'm kind used to it. Poo is a part of every day. I've developed some humor and can withstand the cleaning-out-the-broiler-coop smell.

I *do* however, live in fear of falling in the slippery poo after it rains. That will be an icky experience.

7. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    No, but SOMEBODY pooped on one of my patio chair cushions! I just saw it through the window. Of course, now they're all napping on the patio UNDER the chairs, acting all innocent. Time to brave the mosquitoes and go hose it off. How rude! [​IMG]

8. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    I haven't been pooped on today, but I did walk in some! [​IMG] That's why I have "indoor" and "outdoor" shoes~~[​IMG]

9. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Not sure, Haven't checked my back yet.

10. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    LOL..not yet today, but was pooped on twice yesterday.. AND in front of a bunch of elementary kids. They thought it was a riot! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by