Have you ever added a extra run to your coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Easter eggers, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Easter eggers

Easter eggers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    I was just wondering if any of you have added a extra run to you coop to make my space for your chickens because I was thinking about doing?

2. farmgirlforever18

farmgirlforever18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    Dublin TEXAS
    I'm going to when the weather cools down

3. Abirdbrain

Abirdbrain Chillin' With My Peeps

Absolutely! You can get big, or just a hump run out of bent pvc. With some flexable chicken wire, as a hinge tunnel, you can connect to a door or opening, and swing many feet of 'run' from that point, and the birds will naturally be drawn to check out what is new. When you build, think zip tie, or solid copper electric wire for attaching the wire to plastic. Build things like you are playing with and erector set, and have fun. Pvc is very cheep, and fairly sturdy. Check some of the pvc ideas that are on this board and Google.

4. swmalone

swmalone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Northern Utah
    I have three chickens in a chicken ark and I have a PVC run extension that I often add to one end to open up and give them more space.

5. littlefork

littlefork Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2010
    We planned for an extension to our run when we designed it. The first phase is a 10'x12' "community run" which is made of 1/4" hardware cloth, 4x4 poles set in the ground and 2x4 frames attached to the poles. The second phase will be two runs each 5'x35' that we will alternate the chickens access to so that the grass will have time to recover between their visits. The first phase is almost done and the second phase will be started and hopefully completed this fall.

6. alaina

alaina Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    North middle TN
    wow, never thought of using PVC and wire, thats a good idea! Got lotsa room to grow here, will check out ideas on here!!

7. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Quote:This is what I did, well, started. 10' PVC length I spray painted green, drilled holes in center hoop support and on base. Need to predrill and screw the wood to PVC. Stalled as I'm using all the garden fencing at the moment, need to buy and build the privacy fence for front yard so I can use netting on hoop run. It will be a light weight 8'X 5' addition that can be placed against door to T onto existing run.

8. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    Yep, we sure have. If you look at our shed coop, you can see the pen we built on the right side of it.

[​IMG]

9. CapeReds

CapeReds Out Of The Brooder

A friend has a second run and alternates. It gives a chance for stuff to grow back and the girls love it.

10. StrayMagnet

StrayMagnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    W. Georgia
    I'm actuly doing this too.. We for now have the Chickens in a "run" that is just OUr porch.. (well under it) we have a big raised side porch.. and this is where the stray chicken choose to nest.. so I just enclosed it for her safty. and now that were building a hen house (Well Me) There will be 2 runs.. One from the house to the Under the porch coop.. and another run on the oppsite side of the house. not sure if its going to be the wire coop I got free (its kinda crappy lookin) or If I'll just use left over wood from the house project and make a new one that I can detach n move so hubby can mow.

This is sorta my idea of what it will look like.. when all 3 are together, I just changed the design of my house. per all the new stuff I found to build it with.. but basicaly that is how it will be.. they can either go out the Door for under the porch. or out the door to the other side where they can get sun.. just not sure yet

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by