Have you ever been courted by one of your ganders?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by RURU, Oct 3, 2012.

1. RURU

RURU Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Troy, Missouri
    My Coop
    When I first recieved our sebastopol goslings I was thrilled. I held Sammie the gader a lot I also held Samantha. But for some reason Sammie bonded with me. As they grew he always followed me and Samantha would tag behind him. Well, first breeding season came in and I was out doing something can not remeber what anyway. Here comes Sammie and I was standing the next thing I see is him putting his neck up and down and talking cooing sounds. I thought in't that cute. He then took two steps sideways towards me. Did the neck thing again and just cooing away. Then took a couple leafs and put one on each side of him.
    He just kept doing this until he got next to my leg. I said Oh Sammie how cute you are being. Then next thing I knew he grabbed a hold of the back of my pants and legs and held on for dear life.[​IMG]
    I had NO idea of what he was up to! But found out quickly being a new comer to geese learned when Sammie come a cooing I excit stage left or right whatever to get away.
    I had a hematoma on the back of my leg on my first experience ofSammie trying to breed me! [​IMG]

2. TeamRetic

TeamRetic Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2012
    Bay Area, CA
    How old is your gander? I heard of this happening, but it never happened to me. I got a very young gander. My runner drake courts me a lot and start humping my hand. He imprinted to me.

3. RURU

Jan 25, 2011
    Troy, Missouri
    My Coop
    Sammie is older now and has stopped his lust for my leg! [​IMG] He is I think 4-5 years old now. His attention goes towards the females now. But thought everyone would get a kick out of his courtship to my leg.....

So your duck likes your hand huh! [​IMG]

It is so funny what the birds do when they are reared by us..... It is the ganders or drakes that do the human courtship not the females.

4. Going Bhonkers

Going Bhonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    SW Florida
    My female goose tugs at my pant leg. I'm not sure what it means... she does it occasionally, but only when I'm really close to their pools. She'll do a couple of soft squeaks and pull my at my jeans, she'll keep doing that until she gets behind me and then she stops and just stands there, sometimes between my legs. And when she pulls, its not agressive, its small little nips. I dont know if means she wants to be picked up, or if she's trying to establish dominance over me, or if she's attempting to mate, or if she's just being affectionate. [​IMG]

5. TeamRetic

TeamRetic Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2012
    Bay Area, CA
    How old was he when he did that to your leg and was it in the beginning of the year? My drake is real funny when he does that. He been doing that a lot lately if I stay still too long in front of him.

6. RURU

Jan 25, 2011
    Troy, Missouri
    My Coop
    Sammie was a year old when he first started to try and breed my leg. For several years he did it until I got more females. He has not done it to me this past Spring. But his first attempt was during breeding season. My husband just stood there watching Sammie doing the two step towards me laughing his butt off. He would go ha ha real soft and two step closer. He is such a funny gander. Very protective of his mate or mates. If my husband come close to me in the breding season Sammie grabs a hold of his leg and bites him. Sammie does not like my husband.

7. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    My ganders wouldn't dare.

8. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    My toulouse gander will do it certain times of year. I like to squat down while I am filling up the pools because the geese seem more willing to come over and chat when I am at their level. Come mating season, I have to watch my back because Dad will try to climb on. He's so silly.

9. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2011

My sweetie pie does that then i touch her back and she gets into the mating position lol.

10. Iain Utah

Iain Utah Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2011
    I have a couple of juvenile ganders I hatched in February that are very imprinted on me. They run to me, coo at me, and follow me around. They love to guard me from the other geese, ducks, cats, dogs and even my hubby (although they NEVER try it with my horses lol). But I did make a point to get them girls this summer and hope that when their hormones kick into gear, they will turn their affection towards them, as they will be sorely disappointed if they try to make any moves on me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by