Have you ever been mistaken for a homeless person? True story! :-)

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by m00res, Dec 16, 2008.

1. m00res

m00res Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    San Diego
    So its raining cats and dogs in Southern California. Honestly, I don't think it has rained this much in the 8 years that I've lived here. We're in the process of building a new coop, but the old one is miserably leaky so I spent much of the morning playing in the rain to get the temporary coop dry for my girls.

Then I noticed my driveway was flooding (we're not built for rain). No worries, I'll just run out to Lowe's for sand bags to keep my garage from becoming noah's ark. (You know, two by two: two motorcycles, two bicycles...you get the picture.) I loaded up the sand bags and headed home barely surviving the crazy California drivers. As I pulled in to park my car, I noticed my 82 year old neighbor in her car ready to drive off. She seemed so nervous about the rain that I offered to take her to wherever she needed to go. She agreed and hopped in.

Well, it turns out she had an appointment at the office of health and human services to get her medicaid renewed. This is also the place where you can apply for food stamps and the like. No big deal. I'm glad there are services available to help people and I'm especially glad they are taking care of my dear neighbor. Besides, everyone was being so nice to me.

Suddenly, I have a moment of clarity. I looked down at myself and realize that I am soaked to the bone (hair and all) in a raincoat that is two sizes too big for me, and I'm covered in mud from hauling sand bags in the rain. I look like I crawled right out of the canyon to steal a dry moment of peace in the office of health and human services!! Please bear in mind that we are in the city. People in the city do not look like they do manual labor...ever, even if they do. People don't leave the house dirty, ever - ESPECIALLY GIRLS!! I think they think I'm homeless.

It gets better...In walks this impecable woman with a camera crew! Apparently, they were there delivering 750 donated toys to foster kids. Oh lord, I'm going to be on the evening news! I decided to go sit in my car and dry off. It was pretty darn funny. [​IMG]

How do I get myself into these situations? [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

That's a good one. Never been mistaken for a homeless person, but have been mistaken as an international student... Dad's the 3rd generation in the US... I'm more of a twinkie than anything else. *note, not generally a nice term to use with strangers. LOL

3. m00res

m00res Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    San Diego
    Thanks for the twinkie clarification, silkie! I can just see myself homeless on the evening news inappropriately (yet affectionately) calling someone a twinkie. That's EXACTLY how I get myself into these situations. [​IMG]

4. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    When I was a teen, I hated shopping. My mom would drag me along, but I'd usually stand next to something and just zone out, lost in my own thoughts. Once I turned to follow my mom and nearly scared a woman to death. She gasped and said, oh my lord, I thought you were a mannequin...

5. DLS

DLS Chillin' With My Peeps

last year a rich lady gave my wife $20.00 at the grocery store. she was so shocked that she just stood there [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    we get quite a chuckle over that. she now dresses a little better when shopping.. I would of asked fo a $100.00 bill from that lady. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    I am glad you told me about the twinkie thing because around here a twinkie is a young airheaded teenage girl!

I was working as a social worker with ladies of the evening and I got mistaken for one on many occasions! Once even when I was eight months pregnant ----all I could think was EEEEuuuuw!

7. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    I have WHAT in my yard? :

I was working as a social worker with ladies of the evening and I got mistaken for one on many occasions!

Maybe it's those fishnet tights you are always wearing. Try waders next time.​

8. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Twinkie is funny. One of my best friends is Indian, and uses the term ABCD - 'American Born Confused Desi' for an Indian style Twinkie.

Wikipedia has a funny entry for ABCD, calling them KZ's: "Kids Learning Medicine, Now Owning Property, Quite Reasonable Salary, Two Uncles Visiting, White Xenophobia, Yet Zestful"

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I am most often mistaken for a very, very poor person. VERY poor. I usually can find my little truck by looking for the oldest thing in the parking lot, and I'm usually wearing my farm-y clothes. I kind of like it, though. You find out which people are actually nice.

9. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Quote:Maybe it's those fishnet tights you are always wearing. Try waders next time.

You wish!!! [​IMG]

Heck my husband wishes, too!!! [​IMG]

10. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    I have WHAT in my yard?.[/quote :

Heck my husband wishes, too!!! [​IMG]

The waders???​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by