have you ever cried a lot over losing just a single bird?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by animals1981, Nov 12, 2013.

1. animals1981

animals1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Toronto
    that was not worth anything money wise? just meant a lot to you? losing it really got to you? as an adult? You cant really tell anyone why you are so upset cause they will think you are insane?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  2. bugglesmommy

bugglesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

I've cried over birds before. Especially when I felt somehow responsible. Maybe if I would have shut them oop 10 minutes earlier, or maybe if I had helped the chick and little sooner, or once - a little later. Thankfully I have a supporting husband. He may not get my chicken hobby, but he gets that it's important to me.

[​IMG]

3. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Please don't feel bad. You love your bird, and there is nothing wrong with that. Feelings are a good thing. [​IMG]

4. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    I fell apart one time because a baby squirrel died in my hands. Two baby squirrels fell out of their nest after a storm, one lived, one died. I tried so hare to save that baby squirrel! I bawled and sobbed for hours.

Crying over a chicken that meant something to you, but no one else...........just shows that you have a lot of love in your heart. [​IMG]

5. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    When I first got chickens, I would cry over every single one. Now that I've had them a while, I feel bad when certain ones die, but I usually don't cry, unless I am already having a bad week. I did shed a few tears for my goose though.

6. eggers85

eggers85 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2009
    South Alabama
    I started with 6 "hens" and cried when we had give away the one rooster(we live in town with close neighbors). Then over last 3 1/2 yrs I've lost all but one. Glynda Pearl is my last one. Hubby says no more until we move out to the country. What sweeties!

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yep. The bobcat got my favorite hen, I cried for days.

8. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I would be worried if you didn't cry over your loss. You should cry. Money is only money. A bond is priceless and worth many tears.

1 person likes this.
  9. lularat

lularat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    NC
    I am new to chickens, have 6 girls, and haven't lost one, but I know that I will be very upset when one dies. They are not only chickens to me.... they are "my girls" and I love them. I fall in love with any animal that I am blessed to have....and have cried each time I've lost one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by