Have you ever felt like just driving away from it all for awhile?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by cparian, Aug 21, 2010.

1. cparian

cparian Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I'm usually a "glass is half full kinda person" & always facing things head on. The stress at work & in my personal life have been so much to deal with this past month, today I felt like it is taking it's toll.

I got into my car today to go to a work appointment & I had this incredible urge to just drive away somewhere by myself, where no one needs or expects anything from me.

I love my job, family & my animals, but I just feel like for a week I would love to be alone with no one else to take care of but me. For once not to have to feed someone or something, not have to be anywhere, or have to get anything for anybody else.

I have never felt this before and wondered if anyone else ever got to this point.

I guess I'm just venting.

2. Jess N Jeff

Jess N Jeff Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    South San Diego, Cali
    [​IMG] Been there!!!!

3. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Oh yes I have!! One day I did leave....for about an hour and came back home ;D Hang in there, this too shall pass.

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Sure! That's when I go on a retreat-sabbatical or whatever they call taking off and being alone for a few days.

5. pookiegoldman

pookiegoldman Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    Grand Isle, Louisiana
    I think it's completely normal to feel that way sometimes. Myself, from the moment I wake up until I go to sleep, I'm always fulfilling SOMEONE's demands. Whether it is my daughter, my husband, family or my animals. I'm overwhelmed. Simply put. I often think that it would be a good idea to just get in the car and go. Somewhere. Anywhere, but then I feel grounded because I know my family needs me. They probably couldn't function without me! Take a day trip if you can. See how that goes. Sometimes that'll be enough for that "leave it all behind" feeling to pass. It helps me. Keep your chin up!! [​IMG]

6. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Sure...and you will experience this many other times over the years!

It is a really good idea to take just one or two days and go off by yourself if you can swing it. Sometimes we just need to regroup and get ready to keep moving forward!

[​IMG]

7. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    I really understand where you are coming from on this. Things have been building, and really wearing me down. Today, dh said "gas up the truck, and leave." He knew I needed a day away. I went to the zoo, and did some things that we haven't had time to do lately. I feel a lot better, my stress level is way down. Can you just get a few hours to yourself? Go eat lunch, sit in an empty church, window shop, or just drive a country road? I hope you feel better soon.

8. cparian

cparian Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    The replies from everyone are helping me sort through this feeling. Unfortunately an immediate get away is not possible at this time. I guess that why this feeling got so strong today.

Thanks so much for the kind & encouraging words. It's exactly what I needed someone to tell me it's all gonna be okay.

9. frankenchick

frankenchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Benton Twp., Michigan
    Sounds like you need to go to "time out"! [​IMG]

Ditto what PP said; maybe even go to a movie in the middle of the day (feels so decadent!).

10. CrazyAnimalGirl

CrazyAnimalGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    West of Atl, Ga
    You should take a little bitty bit of time each day to replenish yourself. It's mandatory! It could be 10 minutes of laying in the grass just watching the sky or soaking in the tub! You HAVE to make the time and the people around you need to allow that. If you don't give a little back to yourself and keep giving to everyone else, soon you will have a break down and it will be harder to overcome. Stick in there!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by