Have you ever gotten teased about your chickens?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by HorseFeathers, Jan 18, 2009.

1. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    I have, just once. It was when a guy was like "I'll buy one of your chickens to feed to my snake." I'm like "Oooh, what kind of snake?" He looked kinda taken aback and explained he had a boa. I proceeded to ramble about ball pythons and my milk snake and such, and how I really wanted a tarantula. He stood there kind of confused. Then I told him "Meaties are about 10 cents at the feed store." Then walked off. I'm pretty good at handling that stuff, partly because most of it comes from boys and they never expect me to, for example, like snakes and spiders and playing the electric bass.

How about you?

2. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    Quote:that is too bad.. come one ... he should get teased about having a SNAKE!!

are meaties really 10 cents at your feed store??

wow they dont even sell those at my feed store.. [​IMG]

3. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    I wouldn't say teased exactly... but I've had people roll their eyes or have a look of disgust on their faces when they heard we had chickens. Let it roll off your back. I'd rather be considered a farmer than a valley girl that can't tie her own shoes...

Both reactions actually came from my mother... now she sends all her leftover veggie scraps over here for them. Go figure [​IMG]

4. norahsmommy

norahsmommy Out Of The Brooder

I don't have chickens yet, but my mom is trying so dang hard to convince me that chickens are discusting and increadably hard work. She told me she would give me 150 dollars to put the idea of raising chickens out of my head. I know raising our own chickens isn't going to save us any money. I could most likely get free range eggs and on sale chicken for less than raising my own. But I like the idea of not depending on others for food. Thats why I have dedicated nearly half of my 1 acre lawn to veggie garden, berry bushes and fruit trees. I like the idea of free fertilizer to mix in with my compost. I like free range eggs alot more than the pathetic excuse for eggs that come from the grocery store. And quite frankly I am grossed out and disturbed by the way that chickens are treated in the industry. Pets with benifits, is how I look at it. Hubby wants to slaughter so he is the one that has to do that to the roos. If people want to make fun they can, I don't care. I am pretty antisocial anyway.

5. chickenbuddy

chickenbuddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2008
    I've been called chickenbutt at least twice. The first person who called me that well, I retaliated calling her fatty thighs. Sorry. I was young and immature then.

6. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    EVERY DAY.
    I am known as "The Chicken Lady" at work.
    And I'm only 24, and ONLY have 8 birds......

(until the 37 hatch that are in the bator!)

7. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I was given a hard time when we first got them by many. Now that there are eggs to be had, no problems! [​IMG]

Oh, and when I started wanting to hatch my own they thought I was nuts. Come processing time, it was such a good idea and how great that I had our own chicken meat and not have to worry about buying any. I kept the chicken meat. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  8. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

Don't feel too bad, I have to pass the call ducks to get to the chickens and they ALL laugh at me. [​IMG]

9. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    I just get, "But... do you EAT chicken?" all the time. I respond that I love everything about chicken, whether it's live or extra-crispy. [​IMG]

10. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Since I started putting pics of my birds on my screen savers on my computers at work, I get kidded a little.

"So my Dentist is a chicken farmer heh?"

I am amazed at how many say they wish they could do it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by