Have you ever had a chick with curled toes?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by write2caroline, Jul 5, 2010.

1. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    I posted this in the Emergency/ sick etc area but got no response.

Chick hatched 6-14

I think speckled sussex 3 weeks old today [​IMG][/img]

Her feet look like this [​IMG] [/img]

Any suggestions?
    Caroline

2. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    I believe the curled toes can be brought on due to a spike in the incubator temperature or possibly a vitamin deficiency. you can use polyvisol liquid vitamins ( NO IRON ) to try to bring the curl back straight. I have a silver laced Polish roo that has had curled toes since a chick. He is now just over a year old and doing great. He walks differently than the others but is very healthy. Ps. the vitamins did nothing for my roo so I'm guessing it was a temp spike in the hatchery bator. Good luck. Here is a picture of him at about 8 months. Notice the curl. It is much worse now but like I said he gets along just fine!
    [​IMG]

3. The Lisser

The Lisser Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a couple guinea keets with feet like that. They were that way when I got them at a couple weeks old. They were hatched in an old (as in antique) incubator by a friend of a friend and I think the incubator issues are to blame.

Like Callemin said, it doesn't seem to cause any problems for them to get around.

Melissa

4. write2caroline

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Maddie on the Emergency tab bumped up an old post showing they used duct tape and made little shoe like splints to try to straighten out the toes. This chick was part of my MPC order and none of the others seem effected.

I am going to try to tape some shoes on her and I don't think it will hurt her and maybe straighten her out or not - I still will love her.

Thanks for posting the Polish picture too. I feel better knowing it is not necessarily going to ruin her life but make it more interesting.
    Caroline

5. abanjaf

abanjaf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    Cocoa, Florida
    In order for "chick shoes" or "splinting toes" to work, they would have to been applied within a few days of hatch. I have two chicks with curled toes. One on both both feet, the other on only one foot. The curled toes have had no impact on walking, etc. But it certainly can't hurt to try:) Be interested to hear if it works!

6. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    Don't worry it will be fine..it's an incubator issue in most cases.We have one as bad if not worse that lives a very normal life including roosting which many have told me she wouldn't do..darn chickens never do as told! I wouldn't try to straighten them it's too old now.

7. write2caroline

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Well, she looks kind of goofy with one shoe, (she looks like a duck) and she hates it. But she is getting along fine with the shoe. I was thinking it was too late probably too but I thought I would give it a whirl. I just did the worst foot. If it doesn't help then that is okay. Just thought I would try.
    Caroline

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by