have you ever had a hen that never layed an egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by roocrazy, Oct 27, 2010.

1. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    I had a white wyandotte hen that never layed an egg but also never crowed?

2. turtlynne

turtlynne Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2009
    AIKEN
    How old?[​IMG]

3. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Thought I bought seven barren pullets till yesterday when I finally got my first egg! [​IMG]

4. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Yes, but sadly she died. She was an internal layer.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    You know, I have one I'm wondering about. She's a BO, bought her from MM in spring 08 I think....could have been 07 [​IMG]. Anyway, my hens free range and I've never kept track of who lays how often, I was just happy to get almost as many eggs as hens every day. It's egg math instead of chicken math [​IMG] Since I've been hanging out on the "what breed or gender" board more, I've looked harder at some of my birds. You know how point of lay pullets' combs get bigger and red? Her's isn't! It's small, that pale baby pink, small wattles. Her body is the same size as her hatchmates, and she's NOT a roo, she's hen shaped and feathered. Great, maybe I've been feeding a free-loader for two and a half years?

6. HighGear

HighGear New Egg

Jan 2, 2010
    Yes, I have a year and 1/2 old white leghorn that has never laid an egg. She never really developed a comb either. But other than that she seems very healthy

7. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Hmmmm...hormone imbalance, maybe?

8. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    mine was very small and had no large comb or wattles

9. BethieofVA

BethieofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    I have one that is over 8 months old, no comb,no wattle and no egg. She is BSL. I have seen her go sit in the boxes while the others are laying. She seems super healthy and very friendly.

10. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I have an EE pullet that is now over ten months old that has laid exactly two eggs. Very pretty pale blue, but only two of them. She's in a tractor with a bunch of brown egg layers and one other EE hen who is well established to lay muddy green eggs so I know when she lays one. She's got until late January to shape up then she's going to be culled with the other non-performers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by